Main Article Content
Second order statistical moments of scattered electromagnetic waves in the turbulent magnetized plasma slab with electron density fluctuations are calculated applying the modify stochastic smooth perturbation theory and the boundary conditions. The obtained results are valid for arbitrary correlation function of electron density fluctuations. Stokes parameters are analyzed both analytically and numerically. The theory predicts that depolarization effect caused by second Stokes parameter may be important in scintillation effects. Numerical calculations are carried out for new spectral function of electron density fluctuations containing both anisotropic Gaussian and power-law spectral functions using the experimental data. Polarimetric parameters are calculated for different anisotropy factor and inclination angle of elongated small-scale irregularities with respect to the magnetic lines of forces. The relationship between the scintillations and the polarimetric parameters is important.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Ishimaru, Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Vol. 2, Multiple Scattering, Turbulence, Rough Surfaces and Remote Sensing, IEEE Press, Piscataway, New Jersey, 1997.
- G. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, B. Rawat, V. Gavrilenko, O. Kharshiladze, Statistical moments and scintillation level of scattered electromagnetic waves in the magnetized plasma, PIER C 84: 11-22, 2018.
- G. Jandieri, Zh. Diasamidze, M. Diasamidze, Scinti-llation effects and the spatial power spectrum of scattered radio waves in the ionospheric F region, J. Advances Physics 13: 4593-4604, 2017.
- G. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, B. Rawat, Zh. Diasamidze, Power spectra of ionospheric scintillations, Advanced Electromagnetics 6: 42-51, 2017.
- J.W. Strohbehn, S.F. Clifford, Polarization and angle-of-arrival fluctuations for a plane wave propagated through a turbulent medium, IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, 15: 416-421, 1967.
- V.G. Gavrilenko, N.S. Stepanov, Depolarization of electromagnetic waves in turbulent cosmic plasma, Astronomic Journal 53: 291- 294, 1976.
- G. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, V. Jandieri, Depolarization effects of incoherently scattered electromagnetic waves by inhomogeneous magnetized plasma slab, J. Electromagnetic Analysis and Application 3: 471-478, 2011.
- G. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, V. Jandieri, Depolarization of metric radio signals and the spatial spectrum of scattered radiation by magnetized turbulent plasma slab, PIER 112: 63-75, 2011.
- R. Bourret, The depolarization of light by interstellar magnetic turbulence, Astrophysics and Space Sciences 24: 407-419, 1973.
- R. Bourret, The depolarization of electromagnetic radiation in a random medium: evolution of the Stokes parameters, Optica Acta 21: 721-735, 1974.
- G.V. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, , M.R. Diasamidze, On the influence of fluctuations of the direction of an external magnetic field on phase and amplitude correlation functions of scattered radiation by magnetized slab, PIER B 22: 121-143, 2010.
- V.L. Ginzburg, Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasma. New York: Gordon and Beach, 1961.
- G.A. Korn, J.M. Korn, Mathematical handbook for scientists and engineers. Definition, theorems and formulas for reference and review (McGraw Hill Book Company, New York, Toronto, London, Sydney, 1968.
- J.W. MacDougall, Distributions of the irregularities which produce ionospheric scintillations, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys. 43: 317-325, 1981.
- B.N. Gershman, L.M. Erukhimov, Yu.Ya. Yashin, Wave phenomena in the Ionosphere and Space Plasma, Moscow, Nauka, 1984.
- A.D.R. Phelps, R.C. Sagalyn, Plasma density irregularities in the high-latitude top side ionosphere, J. Geophys. Res. 81: 515-523, 1976.
- N.V. Bakhmet'eva, V.N. Bubukina, Yu.A. Ignat'ev, G.S. Bochkarev, V.A. Eremenko, V.V. Kol'sov, I.V. Kracheninnikov, Yu.N. Cherkashin, Investigation by backscatter radar of artificial irregularities produced in ionospheric plasma heating experiment, J. Atmos. Solar Terr. Phys. 59: 2257-2263, 1997.
- A.A. Chen, G.S. Kent, Determination of the orientation of ionospheric irregularities causing scintillation of signals