Main Article Content
Second order statistical moments of the phase fluctuationsare obtained taking into account the boundary condition,diffraction effects and polarization coefficients of theordinary and extraordinary waves. The variance and thecorrelation function are calculated for arbitrary 3D spectralfunction of electron density fluctuations containing bothanisotropic Gaussian and power-law spectra; anisotropycoefficient and the orientation angle of elongated plasmairregularities. The phase scintillation index and thescintillation level are analyzed numerically. Maximum ofthe scintillation index for small-scale irregularities is in theinterval 0.2-0.3 corresponding to the moderate scintillationintensity, within the weak-scatter regime. Splashes arerevealed for different anisotropy factor of elongated largescaleirregularities varying orientation angle with respect tothe lines of force of geomagnetic field. Scintillation index iscalculated for small-scale irregularities using the “frozenin”assumption and taking into account movement of rigidirregularities. Log-log plots of the power spectrum of theintensity fluctuations have the same minimums satisfyingthe “standard relationship” of scattered ordinary andextraordinary waves. It was shown that the normalizedscintillation level growth in both non-fully-developeddiffraction pattern and in transition zone increasinganisotropy factor. Rising orientation angle scintillation leveldecreases and splashes arises in fully developedscintillation region.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Ishimaru, A. Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Vol. 2, Multiple Scattering, Turbulence, Rough Surfaces and Remote Sensing, IEEE Press, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA, 1997.
- S.M. Rytov, Yu.A. Kravtsov, V. I. Tatarskii, Principles of Statistical Radiophysics. vol.4. Waves Propagation Through Random Media. Berlin, New York, Springer, 1989.
- B.N. Gershman, L.M. Erukhimov, Yu.Ya. Yashin, Wave phenomena in the Ionosphere and Space Plasma, Moscow, Nauka, 1984.
- V.L. Frolov, N.V. Bakhmet'eva, V.V. Belikovich, G.G. Vetrogradov, V.G. Vatrogradov, G.P. Komrakov, D.S. Kotik, N.A. Mityakov, S.V. Polyakov, V.O. Rapoport, E.N. Sergeev, E.D. Tereshchenko, A.V. Tolmacheva, V.P. Uryadov, and B.Z. Khudukon, Modification of the earth's ionosphere by high-power high-frequency radio waves Phys. Usp., 50: 315-325, 2007.
- Z.-W. Xu, J. Wu, Z.-S. Wu, A survey of ionospheric effects on space-based radar, Waves in Random media 14: 189-273, 2004.
- Z.-S. Wu, H.-Y. Wei, R.-K. Yang, L.-X. Guo, Study of scintillation considering inner and outer-scales for laser beam propagation on the slant path through the atmospheric turbulence, PIER 80: 277-293, 2008.
- G.V. Jandieri, Zh.M. Diasamidze, M.R. Diasamidze, I.G. Takidze, Second order statistical moments of the power spectrum of ionospheric scintillation Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences 2: 90-96, 2017.
- G.V. Jandieri, Zh.M. Diasamidze, M.R. Diasamidze, Scintillation effects and the spatial power spectrum of scattered radio waves in the ionospheric F region, Journal of Advances in Physics 13: 4593-4604, 2017.
- G.V. Jandieri, Zh.M. Diasamidze, M.R. Diasamidze, Scintillation spectra of scattered electromagnetic waves in turbulent magnetized plasma, Journal of Basic and Applied Physics, 2: 224-234, 2013.
- V.L. Ginzburg, Propagation of Electromagnetic Waves in Plasma, Gordon and Beach, New York, 1961.
- G.V. Jandieri, A. Ishimaru, Some Peculiarities of the Spatial Power Spectrum of Scattered Electromagnetic Waves in Randomly Inhomogeneous Magnetized Plasma with Electron Density and External Magnetic Field Fluctuations, PIER B, 50: 77-95, 2013.
- C.L. Rufenach, Ionospheric scintillation by a random phase screen: Spectral approach, Radio Science, 2: 155-165, 1975.
- C.L. Rufenach, Power spectra of large scintillation signals, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 37: 569-572, 1975.
- C.L.Rufenach, Power-law wavenumber spectrum deduced from ionospheric scintillation observations, Journal of Geophysical Research, 77: 4761-4772, 1972.
- S.Raizada, H.S.S. Sinha, Some new features of electron density irregularities over SHAR during strong spread F. Ann. Geophysicae, 18: 141-151, 2000.
- S.S. Prakash, S. Pal, H. Chandra, In-situ studies of equatorial spread F over SHAR-steep gradients in the bottomside F-region and transitional wavelength results. J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 53: 977-986, 1991.
- H.O. Vats, Survey of diffractive-refractive scintillation theory, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 51: 739-742, 1989.
- N.V. Bakhmet'eva, V.N. Bubukina, Yu.A. Ignat'ev, G.S. Bochkarev, V.A. Eremenko, V.V. Kol'tsov, I.V. Krasheninnikov, Yu.N. Cherkashin, Investigation by backscattering radar of artificial irregularities produced in ionospheric plasma heating experiments. J. Atmos. Solar- Terr. Phys., 59: 2257-2263, 1997.
- N.D. Kvavadze, Z.L. Liadze, N.V. Mosashvili, Z.S. Sharadze, The phenomenon of F-scattering and drift of smallscale irregularities at night low latitudes F-region of an ionosphere, Geomagnetizm and Aeronomy, 28: 139-141, 1988.
- A.W. Wernik, C.H. Liu, Ionospheric irregularities causing scintillation of GHz frequency radio signals, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 36: 871-879, 1974.
- E.J. Fremouw, Geometrical control of the radio of intensity and phase scintillation indices, J. Atmos. Terr. Phys., 42: 775-782, 1980.