Main Article Content
In the context of coupled periodic waveguides, "couplonics" refers to the rigorous equivalence between continuous wave coupling and localized interactions. We extend it here to a cyclic ternary system, looked upon as the simplest discrete photonic crystal with actual periodic boundary conditions. A linear decomposition on a supermode basis enables one to reduce the original sixwave problem to three independent two-wave distributed Bragg reflectors (or 1D PC).
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- S. Boscolo, M. Midrio, C. G. Someda, Coupling and Decoupling of Electromagnetic Waves in Parallel 2-D Photonic Crystal Waveguides, IEEE J. Quantum Elec-tron., Vol. 38 (1), 47-53, 2002.
- J. Zimmermann, M. Kamp, A. Forchel, R. März, Pho-tonic crystal waveguide directional couplers as wave-length selective optical filters, Optics Comm., Vol. 230, 387-392, 2004.
- Y. G. Boucher, Fundamentals of Couplonics, Proc. SPIE Photonics Europe, Strasbourg, France, Vol. 6182, 61821E, 2006.
- Y. G. Boucher, A. V. Lavrinenko, D.N. Chigrin, Out-of-phase Coupled Periodic Waveguides: a "couplonic" ap-proach, Optical Quantum Electron., Vol. 39, No. 10-11, 837-847, 2007.
- L. Le Floc'h, V. Quintard, J.-F. Favennec, Y. Boucher, Spectral Properties of a Periodic N×N Network of Inter-connected Transmission Lines, Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 37 (4), 255-259, 2003.
- A. A. Barybin and V. A. Dmitriev, Modern Electro-dynamics and Coupled-Mode Theory: Application to Guided-Wave Optics, Rinton Press, 2002.
- A. Yariv and P. Yeh, Optical Waves in Crystals, Wiley, New York, 1984.
- N. Matuschek, F.X. Kärtner, U.Keller, Exact Coupled-Mode Theories for Multilayer Interference Coatings with Arbitrary Strong Index Modulations, IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 33 (3), 295-302, 1997.
- Y. G. Boucher, L. Le Floc'h, V. Quintard, J.-F. Faven-nec, "Canonical alpinism" and "canonical surf-riding": a universal tool for normalised parametric analysis of one-dimensional periodic structures, Optical and Quan-tum Electronics, Vol. 38 (1-3), 203-207, 2006.
- H. Kogelnik, C.V. Shank, Coupled-Wave Theory of Distributed Feedback Lasers, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 2327-2335, 1972.
- N. Belabas, S. Bouchoule, I. Sagnes, J.A. Levenson, C. Minot, J.-M. Moison, Confining light flow in weakly coupled waveguide arrays by structuring the coupling constant: towards discrete diffractive optics, Opt. Expr., Vol. 17 (5), 3148-3156, 2009.
- E. Feigenbaum, H.A. Atwater, Resonant Guided Wave Networks, Phys. Rev. Lett. Vol. 104, 147402, 2010.