Main Article Content
In this paper a new planar metamaterial structure that looks like semi-horse shoe in shape (SSHSS) is designed and simulated. Theoretical analysis of proposed structure done using equivalent circuit theory. Medium effective parameters are extracted using modified NRW approach which proved the metamaterial property of the new unit cell. Radiation pattern, directivity and gain of the new structure were illustrated which gives the possibility of using SSHSS as the antenna. Proposed structure shows multiband characteristics. This antenna shows high directivity (7.92 dBi, 7.86 dBi, 10.11 dBi) and moderate gain (2.55 dBi, 3.90 dBi, 5.07 dBi) at 5.83 GHz, 8.41 GHz, 10.68 GHz respectively. RT duroid is used for fabrication of prototype of the proposed structure. This new structure can be used as metamaterial inspired antenna as well as normal patch antenna. Experimental results shows good agreement with simulated and theoretical results.The proposed structure has been simulated using IE3D electromagnetic simulator.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- V. G. Veselago, The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of and μ, Soviet Physics Uspekhi, 10, 509–14, 1968.
- J. B. Pendry, A.J. Holden, D.J. Robbins, and W.J. Stewart, Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena,IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,47(11),2075–84, 1999.
- D. R.Smith, W.J. Padilla, D.C. Vier, S.C. Nemat-Nasser & S. Schultz, Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity, Physical Review Letters, 84(18), 4184–87, 2000.
- R.W. Ziolkowski, and A. Erentok, Metamaterial-based efficient electrically small antennas, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 54(7), 2113-30, 2006.
- R. Pandeeswari and S. Raghavan, Microstrip antenna with complementary split ring resonator loaded ground plane for gain enhancement, Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., 57(2), 292-96, 2015.
- Sharawi M. S., Khan M. U., Numan A. B., Aloi D. N.,A CSRR loaded MIMO antenna system for ISM band operation, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 61 (8), 4265-74, 2013.
- J. G. Joshi, S. S. Pattnaik, S. Devi, M.R. Lohokare and Chintakindi Vidyasagar, Offset Fed Diamond Shaped Split Ring (DSSR) Planar Metamaterial Antenna, Applied Electromagnetics Conference (AEMC-2009), 2009.
- Vipul Sharma, S. S. Pattnaik, Tanuj Garg and Swapna Devi, A microstrip metamaterial split ring resonator, International Journal of the Physical Sciences, 6(4), 660-63, 2011.
- Meenakshi Batra, S. S. Pattnaik, J.G. Joshi, Swapna Devi, Design of Planar Left-Handed Metamaterial Using Triangular Split Structure, International Symposium on Microwave and Optical Technology (ISMOT 2009), paper ID 365, 606-09, 2009.
- Ghanshyam Singh and S.S. Pattnaik, Metamaterial Inspired SSHSS Planar Antenna, International Journal of Advances in Microwave Technology,3(2),156-159, 2018.
- Ghanshyam Singh and S.S. Pattnaik, Metamaterial Antenna Using Split Semi-horse Shoe Structure, Advance Research in Electrical and Electronics Engineering (AREEE), 2(5),63-67, 2015.
- M. F. Wu, F. Y. Meng, Q. Wu, J. Wu, L. W. Li, A Compact Equivalent Circuit Model for the SRR Structure in Metamaterials, Asia-pacific microwave conference proceedings (APMC 2005), 4-7, 2005.
- Mohan, Sunderarajan S, The design, modeling and optimization of on-chip inductor and transformer circuits, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 38-51, 1999.
- Jiafu Wang, Shaobo Qu, etal, A Controllable Magnetic Metamaterial: Split-Ring Resonator with Rotated Inner Ring, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 56(7), 2018-22, 2008.
- D. R. Smith, D. C. Vier, Th. Koschny, and C.M. Soukoulis, Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from inhomogeneous metamaterials, Physical Review E,71, pp. 1-11, 2005.
- Richard W. Ziolkowski, Design, Fabrication, and Testing of Double Negative Metamaterials, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,51(7), 1516–29, 2003.
- IE3D user Manual, Supplied with Software.