Main Article Content
This communication proposes a compact 16 GHz / 30 GHz dual band antenna design for Ku / Ka band applications. The antenna consists of two layers with lower layer having the fed patch and the upper layer having non-periodic element array. The antenna has been designed to operate at two different frequencies with compact dimensions of (8mm x 8mm) using Rogers RT 5880. The compact size of this proposed antenna also makes it suitable for integration with the microwave and millimeter wave circuits. The proposed antenna provides high radiation efficiency and a peak gain of about 8 dB at the resonant frequencies with reduced side lobe levels.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Colin, "A 30 GHz Bow-tie Slot Antenna Fed by a Microstrip to CPW Transition," Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Moscow, Russia, August 18-21, pp. 883-885, 2009.
- M. M. Islam, M. T. Islam, andM. R. I. Faruque, "Dual- Band Operation of a Microstrip Patch Antenna on a Duroid 5870 Substrate for Ku- and K-Bands," Hindawi Publishing Corporation, The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2013, Article ID 378420, 10 pages, 2013.
- C.-M. Wu, "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 542–546, 2007.
- G. Augustin, S. V. Shynu, P. Mohanan, C. K. Aanandan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact dual-band antenna for wireless access point," Electronics Letters, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 502–503, 2006.
- C. P. Hsieh, T. C. Chiu, and C. H. Lai, "Compact dualband slot antenna at the corner of the ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 3423–3426, 2009.
- M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Compact dual band microstrip antenna for Ku-band application," Information Technology Journal, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 354–358, 2010.
- I. J. Bahl and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, Mass, USA, 2nd edition, 1980.
- R. Azim, M. T. Islam, andN.Misran, "Dual polarized microstrip patch antenna for Ku-band application," Informacije MIDEM, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 114–117, 2011.
- A. Sayed, R.S. Ghonam and AbdelhalimZekry, "Design of a Compact Dual Band Microstrip Antenna for Ku- Band Applications," International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887), Volume 115, No. 13, pp. 11-14, April 2015.
- D. M. Pozar, "Microstrip Antennas", Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 1992.
- S. V. Shynu, R. K. Raj, A. R. Chandran, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan,"Single-feed dual-frequency dual polarized microstrip antenna with hexagonal slot," in IEEE Antennas Propagation Society Int. Symp. Digest, vol. 4, pp. 4380–4383, 2004.
- L. Zaid, G. Kossiavas, J. Y.Dauvignac, J. Cazajous, and A.Papiemik, "Dual-frequency and broadband antennas with stacked quarter wavelength elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol.47, no. 4, pp. 654– 660, 1999.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed. Wiley, 2005.
- R. Che, B. Dong, and C. Yu, "Study and design of Ku band direct broadcast satellite microstrip antenna array,"Proceedings of ICCTA, 2009.
- H.-H. Hsieh, Y.-C.Hsu and L.-H. Lu, "A 15/30-GHz dual-band multi-phase voltage-controlled oscillator in 0.18-mm CMOS," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 474-483, March 2007.
- H. A.Majid, M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and M. F. Ismail, "A compact frequency-reconfigurable narrowband microstrip slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 616-619, 2012.