Main Article Content
This paper describes X-Band power amplifier (PA), low noise amplifier (LNA) and switches that can be used in transmit/receive modules which are developed with GaN technology. For Transmit chain two 25 W high power amplifiers that are tuned between 8-10 GHz and 10-12 GHz bands are designed. A low noise amplifier with 2 W survivability and less than 2dB noise figure is designed for receive chain Furthermore, an RF switch that is capable of withstanding 25 W RF power is developed for the selection of transmit or receive chains. Measurement results show that both power amplifiers produce 25 W of power. Low noise amplifier has more than 20 dB small signal gain with less than 2 dB noise figure. RF switch has 50 dB of isolation with less than 1 dB insertion loss.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- C. F. Campbell, "Gallium Nitride Power MMICs Promise and Problems", Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Milimeter-wave Circuits Workshop (INMMiC), November 2015.
- A. Katz, M. Kubak ve G. DeSalvo, "A 6 to 16 GHz Linearized GaN Power Amplifier," 2006 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, San Francisco, California, 2006, p. 1364-1367.
- C. F. Campbell, D. C. Dumka, "Wideband high power GaN on SiC SPDT switch MMICs," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., Anaheim, California, U.S.A, p. 145-148, May 2010.
- O. Memioglu et al., "Design and Implementation of an Encapsulated GaN X-Band Power Amplifier Family," 2018 13th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), Madrid, 2018, to be published.
- O. Kazan et al., "An X-Band Robust GaN Low Noise Amplifier MMIC with Sub 2 dB Noise Figure," 2018 13th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), Madrid, 2018, to be published.
- O. Memioglu et al., "A High Power GaN, Quarter Wave Length Switch for X-Band Applications," 2018 IEEE 18th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), Istanbul, 2018, to be published.
- P. Parikh, Y. Wu, M. Moore, P. Chavarkar, Mishra, R. Neidhard, L. Kehias, T. Jenkins, "High linearity, robust, AlGaN-GaN HEMTs for LNA and receiver ICs," Proceedings of IEEE Lester Eastman Conference on High Performance Devices, p. 415-421, August 2002.
- U. Mishra, S. Likun, T. Kazior, and Y.-F. Wu, "GaN-based RF power devices and amplifiers," Proc. IEEE, vol. 96, no. 2, s. 287-305, February 2008.
- B. M. Green et al., "High-power broad-band AlGaN/GaN HEMT MMICs on SiC substrates," in IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 2486-2493, Dec 2001.
- Harris, J & Matthews, M. (2009). "Selecting die attach technology for high-power applications." Power Electronics Technology. 35. 18-23.
- J. G. Leckey, "A 25W X-band GaN PA in SMT package," 2014 9th European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, Rome, 2014, pp. 397-309.
- S. Pavlidis, A. . Ulusoy and J. Papapolymerou, "A 5.4W X-band gallium nitride (GaN) power amplifier in an encapsulated organic package," 2015 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Paris, 2015, pp. 789-792.
- D. Sardin, T. Reveyrand and Z. Popovi, "X-band 10W MMIC high-gain power amplifier with up to 60% PAE," 2014 9th European Microwave Integrated Circuit Conference, Rome, 2014, pp. 393-396.
- E. Kuwata et al., "C-Ku band ultra broadband GaN MMIC amplifier with 20W output power," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, Melbourne, VIC, 2011, pp. 1558-1561.
- S. Piotrowicz et al., "State of the Art 58W, 38% PAE X-Band Al-GaN/GaN HEMTs Microstrip MMIC Amplifiers," 2008 IEEE Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuits Symposium, Monterey, CA, 2008, pp. 1-4.
- M. Micovic, A. Kurdoghlian, T. Lee, R. O. Hiramoto, P. Hashimoto, A. Schmitz, I. Milosavljevic, P. J. Willadsen, W.-S. Wong, M. Antcliffe, M. Wetzel, M. Hu, M. J. Delaney, and D. H. Chow "Robust broadband (4 GHz - 16 GHz) GaN MMIC LNA," in IEEE Compound Semiconduct. Integr. Circuits Symp., Oct. 14-17, 2007, pp. 1-4.
- C. Andrei, R. Doerner, O. Bengtsson, S. A. Chevtchenko, W. Heinrich, and M. Rudolph, "Highly linear X-band GaN-based low-noise amplifier," in Intl. Symp. Signals, Syst., Electron. (ISSSE), Oct. 3-5, 2012, pp. 1-4.
- P. Schuh and R. Reber, "Robust X-band low noise limiting amplifiers," in IEEE MTT-S Intl. Microwave Symp. Dig., Jun. 2-7, 2013, pp. 1-4.
- M. Vittori, S. Colangeli, W. Ciccognani, A. Salvucci, G. Polli, and E. Limiti, "High performance X-band LNAs using a 0.25 um GaN technology," in 2017 13th Conference on Ph.D. Research in Microelectronics and Electronics (PRIME), Jun. 12-15, 2017, pp. 157-160.
- J. Janssen, M. Heijningen, K. Hilton, J. Maclean, D.Wallis, J. Powell, M. Uren, T. Martin, F. Vliet, X-band GaN SPDT MMIC with over 25 watt linear power handling, in Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, 2008. EuMIC 2008. European, pp. 190-193, Oct 2008.
- S. Masuda, M. Yamada, Y. Kamada, T. Ohki, K. Makiyama, N. Okamoto, K. Imanishi, T. Kikkawa, and H. Shigematsu, GaN singlechip transceiver frontend MMIC for X-bant applications, in Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 2012 IEEE MTT-S International, pp. 1-3, June 2012
- A. Bettidi, A. Cetronio, M. Dominicis, G. Giolo, C. Lanzieri, . Manna, M. Peroni, C. Proietti, and P. Romanini, High power GaN-HEMT microwave switches for X-band and wideband applications, in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 2008. RFIC 2008. IEEE, pp. 329-332, June 2008.
- S. Osmanoglu, X-band low phase noise MMIC VCO & high power MMIC SPDT design, M.Sc. dissertation, Dep. Elect. Eng, Bilkent Univ., 2014.
- W. Ciccognani, M. Dominicis, M. Ferrari, E. Limiti, M. Peroni, and P. Romanini, High-power monolithic AlGaN/GaN HEMT switch for X-band applications, Electronics Letter, vol.44, pp. 911-912, Jul. 2008.
- V. Alleva, et. al., High power microstrip GaN-HEMT switches for microwave applications, Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference, pp. 194-197, Oct. 2008.
- A. Bentini, D. Palombini and D. Rampazzo, "GaN MMIC SPDTs for C-Ku band beam forming networks applications," 2017 12th European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference (EuMIC), Nuremberg, 2017, pp. 125-128.