Main Article Content
This study is about the design and production of a conical corrugated horn antenna used to feed reflector antennas in satellite communication (direct broadcast satellite-DBS) systems. The antenna designed with CST Microwave Studio program operates within wideband of 10.5-18.5 GHz at Ku-band. The prototype is realized with new generation 3D printing technology and conductive paint coating method, which makes the antenna lightweight and provides low cost and faster production. According to measurement results, the antenna has return loss almost better than 20 dB, gain value of minimum 14.5 dBi and sidelobe level of -18 dB at most within 1.76:1 frequency bandwidth. Antenna is observed to have a gain loss of at most 1.5-2 dB within the band as compared to the same antenna with high conductivity metal, which needs higher cost and production time for the manufacturing.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- W.L. Stutzman and G.A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 3rd edition, New Jersey, USA: Wiley, 2013.
- R. Noorani, 3D Printing Technology, Applications and Selection, New York, NY, USA: Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
- J. Uher, J. Bornemann, and U. Rosenberg, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Boston, USA: Artech House, 1993.
- J. C. S. Chieh, B. Dick, S. Loui, and J. D. Rockway, "Development of a Ku-band corrugated conical horn using 3-D print technology," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 13, pp. 201-204, 2014.
- A. Genc, I. B. Basyigit, T. Goksu and S. Helhel, "Investigation of the performances of X-Ku band 3D printing pyramidal horn antennas coated with the different metals," in 2017 10th International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO), Bursa, Turkey, 2017, pp. 1012-1016.
- J. S. Silva, M. García-Vigueras, T. Debogović, J. R. Costa, C. A. Fernandes and J. R. Mosig, "Stereolithography-based antennas for satellite communications in Ka-band," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 655-667, 2017.
- A. T. Castro, B. Babakhani, and S. K. Sharma, "Design and development of a multimode waveguide corrugated horn antenna using 3D printing technology and its comparison with aluminium-based prototype," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol. 11, no. 14, pp. 1977-1984, 2017.
- E. Menargues et al., "3D printed feed-chain and antenna components," in 2017 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2017, pp. 1-2.
- E. Laplanche et al., "A Ku-band diplexer based on 3 dB directional couplers made by plastic additive manufacturing," in 2017 47th European Microwave Conference (EuMC), Nuremberg, 2017, pp. 428-431.
- A. I. Dimitriadis et al., "Polymer-based additive manufacturing of high-performance waveguide and antenna components," Proc of the IEEE, vol. 105, no. 4, pp. 668-676, 2017.
- X Shang et al., "W-Band Waveguide Filters Fabricated by Laser Micromachining and 3-D Printing," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 2572-2580, 2016.
- E. Menargues et al., "Polymer-based metal coated additive manufactured V- and W-band antenna feed chain components," 2017 11th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Paris, France, 2017, pp. 584-588.
- B. R. Elbert, Satellite Communication Applications Handbook, 2nd edition, Boston, USA: Artech House, 2004.
- C. Turkmen, and M. Secmen, "Omnidirectional and circularly polarized slotted antenna array with increased bandwidth performance by using non-Identical waveguide slots", Radio Science RS006635, 2018.
- C. Granet and G. L. James, "Design of corrugated horns: A primer," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 76–84, 2005.
- M.F. Yakan Musthofa and A. Munir, "Design of rectangular to circular waveguide converter for S-band frequency," in Proc. 2011 International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Informatics, Bandung, 2011, pp. 1-5.
- MG Chemicals, Surrey, BC, Canada, "Super Shield nickel conductive coating 841 technical data sheet," [Online]. Available: http://www.mgchemicals.com
- MG Chemicals, Surrey, BC, Canada, "Super Shield silver coated copper conductive coating 843 technical data sheet," [Online]. Available: http://www.mgchemicals.com
- S.Rao, S.K. Sharma, and L.Shafai, Handbook of Reflector Antennas and Feed Systems, vol. 2, Boston, USA: Artech House, 2013.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 4th edition, New Jersey, USA: Wiley, 2016.