Main Article Content
This paper presents new microstrip devices as single band bandpass and multi band bandstop filters. The proposed filters use slotted patch microstrip resonator based on quasi fractal geometry, simulated by AWR12 software package. Both filters have quasi elliptic frequency response, designed at centre frequency of 2.437 GHz for bandpass filter and at band frequencies of 2.434, 4.032, 4.976 and 5.638 GHz GHz respectively, for multi bandstop filter. All filters are employed using RT/Duroid 6010.8 LM substrate of dielectric constant and 1.27 mm dielectric thickness. Simulation results show that the designed quasi fractal bandpass filter has very narrow fractional bandwidth of 0.38 % which is very rare in microstrip filter design. On the other hand, the projected bandstop filter offers multi narrow rejection bands that is useful in broadband wireless schemes influencing from fixed interferences. Both filters present satisfactory S11 and S21 responses besides smallness properties that stand for interesting features of the newest wireless applications. The simulated and measured frequency responses for both designed filters are in good agreement.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- J.S. Hong and M.J. Lancaster(2001), Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons.
- A. I. Zverev(1967), Handbook of Filter Synthesis. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- J. S. Hong and M. J. Lancaster(1996), Compact Microwave Elliptic Function Filter Using Novel Microstrip Meander Open-Loop Resonators, Electronics Letters, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 563–564.
- Barra, M., Miniaturized Superconducting Planar Filters for Telecommunication Applications, PhD Thesis, University of Napoli, Italy, 2004.
- Y.S. Mezaal, H.T. Eyyuboglu and J.K. Ali, "'New Dual Band Dual-Mode Microstrip Patch Bandpass Filter Designs Based on Sierpinski Fractal Geometry", Proceeding of Advanced Computing and Communication Technologies, pp. 348-352, 2013.
- J. Romeu and J. Soler, "Generalized Sierpinski fractal multiband antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 49, no. 8, pp. 1237 – 1239, Aug. 2001.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, "The Fractal Geometry of Nature," New York, W. H. Freeman, 1983.
- O. I. Yordanov, I. Angelov, V.V. Konotop and I.V. Yurkevich "Prospects of Fractal Filters and Reflectors," in IEE Seventh International Conference on Antenna and Propagation ISCAP'91, pp. 698-700, York, UK, 1991.
- M. Barra. "Miniaturized Superconducting Planar Filters for Telecommunication Applications", PhD Thesis, University of Napoli, Italy, 2004.
- J.K. Ali, "A New Miniaturized Fractal Bandpass Filter Based on Dual-Mode Microstrip Square Ring Resonator," Proceedings of the 5th International Multi-Conference on Signals, Systems and Devices, IEEE SSD '08, Amman, Jordan, July 20-23, 2008.
- Y.S. Mezaal, "A New Microstrip Bandpass Filter Design Based on Hilbert Fractal Geometry for Modern Wireless Communication Applications," International Journal on advanced Computing Techniques, IJACT, vol.1, no.2, pp.36-39, 2009.
- Ahmed A. Mahdi and Jabir S. Aziz, Miniaturized Koch Pre-Fractal Bandpass Filter, Journal of Mobile Communication 5 (5-6): 57-61, 2011.
- J. K. Ali, and Y. S. Mezaal, "A New Miniature Narrowband Microstrip Bandpass Filter Design Based on Peano Fractal Geometry," Iraqi Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 3-9, 2009.
- J. K. Ali, and Y. S. Mezaal,"A new miniature fractal-based bandpass filter design with 2nd harmonic suppression," Proceedings of 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communication, MAPE 2009.
- J. K. Ali, Hussam Alsaedi, Mohammed F. Hasan, and Hussain A. Hammas, "A Peano fractal-based dual-mode microstrip bandpass filters for wireless communication systems." In PIERS Proceedings, pp. 888-892. 2012.
- Mezaal, Y. S., Jawad K. Ali, and H. T. Eyyuboglu. "Miniaturised microstrip bandpass filters based on Moore fractal geometry." International Journal of Electronics 102.8 (2015): 1306-1319.
- Y.S. Mezaal, H.T. Eyyuboglu and J.K. Ali (2014) Wide Bandpass and Narrow Bandstop Microstrip Filters Based on Hilbert Fractal Geometry: Design and Simulation Results, PLOS ONE | DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0115412
- Y.S. Mezaal and H.T. Eyyuboglu (2016) Investigation of New Microstrip Bandpass Filter Based on Patch Resonator with Geometrical Fractal Slot, Plos One 11(4) : e0152615.
- Yaqeen S. Mezaal, New Microstrip Quasi-Fractal Antenna: Design and Simulation Results, 2016 IEEE 36th International Conference on Electronics and Nanotechnology (ELNANO), Kiev,2016.
- Fattah Talaei, Mohammad N. Azarmanesh, Gholamreza Askari, and Hamid Mirmohammadsadeghi, "A novel dual-mode dual band bandpass filter using a quasi fractal structure," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol.7, No.3, 153-158, Feb. 2010.
- Ghatak, R., R. K. Mishra, D. R. Poddar, and A. Patnaik, "Multilayered complementary quasi-fractal Sierpinski patch antenna for wireless terminals," URSI XXVIII GA Poster Presentations Programme, 95, 2005.
- Jawad K. Ali, and A. S. A. Jalal, "A Miniaturized Multiband Minkowski-Like Pre-Fractal Patch Antenna for GPS and 3g IMT- 2000 Handsets", Asian Journal of Information Technology 6(5), pp. 584-588, 2007.
- F. Viani, '' Dual-band Sierpinski Pre-Fractal Antenna for 2.4 GHz- References 117 WLAN and 800 MHz-LTE Wireless Devices '', Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, PIERS, Vol. 35, pp. 63-71, 2013.
- D. Zhang, G. C. Liang, C. F. Shih, M. E. Johansson, R. S. Withers, "Narrowband lumped element microstrip filter using capacitively loaded inductors", IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 43, pp. 3030-3036, 1995.
- Ahmed, H.S., A.J. Salim, J.K. Ali, and N.N. Hussain. "A Compact Triple Band BSF Design Based on Minkowski Fractal Geometry." 18th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, MELECON 2016, Limassol, Cyprus, April 2016.
- J.S. Hong, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Application," 2nd edition, New York, Wiley, 2011.
- Saghlatoon H. and Neshati M. H. :Design Investigation of a Novel Bandpass Filter Using Trisection Open Loop Resonator. Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, Malaysia, 1203-1206, (2012).
- Chhabra A., Khanna R. and Kumar N.: A Novel Compact Band Pass Filter for 2.4 GHz ISM Band Applications, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 9(47),
- Arain S., Abassi Muhammad A. B., Nikolaou S. and Vryonides P. : A Square Ring Resonator Bandpass Filter With Asymmetrically Loaded Open Circuited Stubs. 5th IEEE International Conference on Modern Circuits and Systems Technologies, 2016.
- Weng, L. H., Guo, Y. C., Chen, X. Q. and Shi, X. W. 2008. Microstrip open loop resonator bandpass filter with DGS for WLAN application. Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 22(No. 14–15): 2045–2052.
- A. Griol, J. Marti, L. Sempere, "Microstrip multistage coupled ring bandpass filters using spur-line filters for harmonic suppression", Electrons Letters, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 572-573, Apr. 2001.
- Azzeddine Djaiz, and Tayeb A. Denidni, "A Design and Fabrication of a New Stacked Bandpass Filter Using Multilayer Microstrip Structure For Wireless Applications," IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference RAWCON, Boston, USA, pp. 317-320, Aug 2003.
- Mezaal YS, Eyyuboglu HT, Ali JK, New microstrip bandpass filter designs based on stepped impedance Hilbert fractal resonators. IETE Journal of Research, 2014; 60(3): 257-264.
- Y.S. Mezaal, H.T. Eyyuboglu: A new narrow band dual-mode microstrip slotted patch bandpass filter design based on fractal geometry. IEEE International Conference on Computing and Convergence Technology (ICCCT); 2012.