Main Article Content
This paper reports a new design of broadband monopole patch antenna. The proposed antenna possess corner truncated rectangular patch with slits and defected ground structure, these modifications considerably improves the impedance bandwidth to 41.29% over a wideband (5.1–7.59 GHz). The design is appropriate for wireless communication including WLAN IEEE 802.11 g/a (5.15–5.35 GHz and 5.725–5.825 GHz) and C Band (4–8 GHz) applications. An antenna prototype is fabricated using FR-4 with an electrical permittivity of 4.4. Experimental and numerical simulations of antenna’s radiation characteristic are also reported and exhibits good concurrence.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- G.A. Deshamps, "Microstrip Microwave Antennas," Third USAF Symposium on Antennas, 1953.
- W. Stutzman and G. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, New York, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1998.
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Third Edition, March, Wiley Publication, 2005.
- J R James and P S Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus Ltd, 1989.
- D. M Pozar, "Microstrip Antennas, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, pp. 79-91, 1989.
- R. Garg, P. Bhartia, I. J. Bhal, A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Book, Artech House Publishers, 2001.
- H. M. Chen, Y. K. Wang and S.C. Pan, Microstrip-Fed Circularly Polarized Square-Ring Patch Antenna for GPS Applications, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, p. 4-7, 2009.
- J. Y, Jan, K. Y. Chiu, J. H. Duan, L. C Wang, C. Y. Pan and H. M. Chen, Compact Microstrip-Line-Fed Broadband Slot Antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), Vol. 3, p. 1-4., 2010.
- M. Bugaj, R. Przesmycki, L. Nowosielski and K. Piwowarczyk, Analysis Different Methods of Microstrip Antennas Feeding for their Electrical Parameters, Proc. Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters (PIER), pp. 62-66. 2012.
- D. Mitra, D. Das, S. R. B. Chaudhuri, Bandwidth Enhancement of Microstrip Line and CPW-Fed Asymmetrical Slot Antennas, Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters (PIER), vol. 32, pp. 69- 79, 2012.
- M. D. Sharma, A. Katariya and R. S. Meena, Broad Band Aperture Coupled Microstrip Antenna with Dual Feed and Three Feed Technique, IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT), pp. 62-65, 2012.
- A. Mandal, A. Ghosal, A. Majumdar, A. Ghosh, A. Das, and S. K. Das, Analysis of Feeding Techniques of Rectangular Microstrip Antenna, IEEE International Conference Signal Processing, Communication and Computing (ICSPCC), vol. 9, pp. 26-31, 2012.
- M. D. Sharma, A. Katariya, and A. K. Pandit, "\Design and Simulation of Broad Band Aperture Coupled Microstrip Antenna, Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks (CICN), pp. 32-36, 2012.
- M. L. Xiaodong, Yang, and A. Xiaoming, Compact Notch Band Ultra-wideband Antenna Using a pair of I-Shaped Parasitic Elements, Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM), pp. 151-154, 2012.
- L. Jain, R. Singh, S. Rawat and K. Ray, Miniaturized meandered and stacked MSA using accelerated design strategy for biomedical applications, at 5th International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving, pp. 721-728, 2015.
- M. Karamanoglu, M. Abbak and S. Şimşek, "A Planar Ultra-Wideband Monopole Antenna with Half-Circular Parasitic Patches, 13th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium, pp.1-4, 2013.
- A. Agrawal, P. K Singhal, and A. Jain, Design and optimization of a microstrip patch antenna for increased bandwidth, International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, pp. 529-535, 2013.
- S. Rawat, and K. K. Sharma, Stacked Configuration of Rectangular and Hexagonal Patches with Shorting pin for Circularly Polarized Wideband Performance, Central European Journal of Engineering, vol. 4, pp. 20-26, 2013.
- S. Rawat, and K. K. Sharma, A Compact broadband microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for C-Band Applications, Central European Journal of Engineering, vol. 4, pp. 287-292, 2014.
- S. Rawat, and K. K. Sharma, Annular Ring Microstrip Patch Antenna with Finite Ground Plane for Ultra-Wideband Applications, International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, pp. 179-184, 2015.
- S. Kumar and R. Tomar, A Dual-Band Compact Printed Monopole Antenna using Multiple Rectangle-Shaped Defected Ground Structures and Cross-Shaped Feed Line, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 1810-1813, 2015.
- F. Raval, Y.P. Kosta and H. Joshi, Reduced size patch antenna using complementary split ring resonator as defected ground plane, International Journal of Electronics and Communications, pp. 1126–1133, 2015.
- A. K. Gautam, L. Kumar, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Rambabu, Design of Compact F-Shaped Slot Triple-Band Antenna for WLAN/WiMAX Applications, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 1101-1104, 2016.
- I. J. Bahl and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Dedham, MA: Artech House, 1980.
- J. S. Khinda, M. R. Tripathy, and D. Gambhir, Improvement in Depth of Return Loss of Microstrip Antenna for S-Band Applications, Journal of Circuits, Systems, and Computers, 2018.
- M. R. Zaman, R. Azim, N. Misran, M. F. Asillam, and T. Islam, Development of a Semielliptical Partial Ground Plane Antenna for RFID and GSM-900, International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2014.
- A. P. Duffy, A. Orlandi and G. Zhang, Review of the Feature Selective Validation Method (FSV). Part I—Theory, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 60, pp. 814 – 821, 2018.
- A. Duffy, A. Martin, G. Antonini, A. Orlandi and C. Ritota, The feature selective validation (FSV) method, International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, pp. 272-277, 2005.
- Y. G. Rabobason, G. P. Rigas, S. Swaisaenyakorn, B. Mirkhaydarov, B. Ravelo, M. Shkunov, P. R. Young and N. Benjelloun, Design and synthesis of flexible switching 1 × 2 antenna array on Kapton substrate, Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys. (EPJAP), vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 1-10, 2016.
- Y. G. Rabobason, G. P. Rigas, S. Swaisaenyakorn, B. Mirkhaydarov, B. Ravelo, M. Shkunov, P. R. Young and N. Benjelloun, Design of flexible passive antenna array on Kapton substrate, Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER) C, vol. 63, pp. 105-117, 2016.