Main Article Content
Photonic metamaterials made of graded photonic crystals operating near the bandgap frequency region are proposed for field manipulation around l=1.5μm. Proof-of-concept structures have been studied using Hamiltonian optics and FDTD simulation, fabricated, and characterized using farfield optical measurements. Experimental results are in good agreement with predictions, showing the interest of graded photonic crystals as an (ultra-low loss) alternative solution to the use of metamaterials combining dielectric and metallic materials with sub-wavelength unit cells.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- D. R. Smith, J. B. Pendry and M. C. K Wiltshire, Metamaterials and negative refactive index, Science, Vol. 305, pp.788-792, 2004.
- J. B. Pendry, D. Schurig and D. R. Smith, Controlling electromagnetic field, Science, Vol. 312, 1780-1782, 2006.
- Nader Engheta, Richard W. Ziolkowski, Metamaterials: Physics and engineering explorations, Science, John Wiley and Sons, 211-221 (2006).
- Said Zouhdi, Ari Sihvola, Alexey P. Vinogradov, Metamaterials and Plasmonics: Fundamentals, Modelling, Applications. New York: Springer-Verlag. 3-10, Chap. 3, 106, 2008.
- Alexander V. Kildishev and Vladimir M. Shalaev, Engineering space for light via transformation optics, Optics Letters, Vol. 33, N°1, 43-45, 2008.
- Marco Rahm, Steven A. Cummer, David Schurig, John B. Pendry and David R. Smith, Optical design of reflectionless complex media by finite embedded coordinate transformations, Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, 063903-063906, 2008.
- M. Rahm, D. A. Robert, J. B. Pendry and D. R. Smith, Transformation-optical design of adaptive beam bends and beam expanders, Optics Express, Vol. 16, N°15, 11555-11567, 2008.
- Zhong Lei Mei and Tie Jun Cui, Arbitrary bending of electromagnetic waves using isotropic materials, Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, 104913-104917, 2009.
- Nathan I. Landy and Willie J. Padilla, Guiding light with conformal transformations, Optics Express Vol. 17, N°17, 14872-14879, 2009.
- Weiqiang Dign, Donghua Tang, Yan Liu, Lixue Chen and Xiudong Sun, Arbitrary waveguide bends using isotropic and homogeneous metamaterial, Applied Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 041102-041104, 2010.
- Jason Valentine, Jensen Li, Thomas Zentgraf, Guy Bartal and Xiang Zhang, An optical cloak made of dielectrics, Nature Materials, Vol. 8, 568-571, 2009.
- Lucas H. Gabrielli, Jaime Cardenas, Carl B. Poitras and Michal Lipson, Silicon nanostructure cloak operating at optical frequencies, Nature Photonics, Vol. 3, 461-463, 2009.
- E. Cassan, K. V. Do, C. Caer, D. Marris-Morini and L. Vivien, Short-Wavelength Light Propagation in Graded Photonic Crystals, Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 29, N°13, 1937-1943, 2011.
- K. V. Do, X. Le Roux, C. Caer, D. Marris-Morini, N. Izard, L. Vivien and E. Cassan, Wavelength Demultiplexer Based on a Two-Dimensional Graded Photonic Crystal, Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 23, N°15, 1094-1096, 2011.
- Khanh-Van Do, Xavier Le Roux, Delphine Marris- Morini, Laurent Vivien, and Eric Cassan, Experimental demonstration of light bending at optical frequencies usisng a non-homongenizable graded photonic crystal, Optics Express, Vol 20, Issue 4, 4776-4783, 2012.