Main Article Content
In this paper, a polarizability matrix retrieval method for bianisotropic metamaterials is presented. Assuming that scatterers can be modeled by electric and magnetic pointdipoles located at their centers, the induced dipole moments are analytically related to the normally incident fields, while the scattered fields are also analytically obtained for two individual cases of normal wave incidence. The latter can be combined with the incident fields, to express the desired polarizabilities, with regard to the measured or simulated scattering parameters. In this way, the polarizability matrix can be extracted by solving the resulting non-linear system of equations. The proposed technique is applied to two different split-ring resonator structures and reveals very good agreement with previously reported techniques.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- D. R. Smith, S. Schultz, P. Markoš, C.M. Soukoulis, Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients, Phys. Rev. B 65: pp. 195104 (1–5), 2002.
- X. Chen, T.M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pacheco, J.A. Kong, Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials, Phys. Rev. E 70: pp. 70 016608(1–7), 2004.
- V. V. Varadan, R. Ruyen, Unique retrieval of complex permittivity and permeability of dispersive materials from reflection and transmitted fields by enforcing causality, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech. 55: pp. 2224–2230, 2007.
- A. Alù, First-principles homogenization theory for periodic metamaterials, Phys. Rev. B 84: pp. 075153(1–18), 2011.
- T. Koschny, P. Markoš, D. R. Smith, C. M. Soukoulis, Resonant and antiresonant frequency dependence of the effective parameters of metamaterials, Phys. Rev. E 68: p. 065602(R)(1–4), 2003.
- T. Koschny, P. Markoš, D.R. Smith, C. M. Soukoulis, Reply to comments on "Resonant and antiresonant frequency dependence of the effective parameters of metamaterials", Phys. Rev. E 70: p. 048603, 2004.
- A. H. Sihvola, Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, IEEE Electromagnetic Wave Series, Piscataway, New Jersey, 2000.D. Morits, C. R. Simovski, Electromagnetic characterization of planar and bulk metamaterials: A theoretical study, Phys. Rev. B 82: pp. 165114 (1–10), 2010.
- A. I. Dimitriadis, N. V. Kantartzis, I. T. Rekanos, T. D. Tsiboukis, Efficient metafilm/metasurface characterization for obliquely incident TE waves via surface susceptibility models, IEEE Trans. Magn. 48: pp. 367–370, 2012.
- A. D. Scher, E. F. Kuester, Extracting the bulk effective parameters of a metamaterial via the scattering from a single planar array of particles, Metamaterials 3: pp. 44–55, 2009.
- P. A. Belov, C. R. Simovski, Homogenization of electromagnetic crystals formed by uniaxial resonant scatterers, Phys. Rev. E 72: pp. 026615 (1–15), 2005.
- R. Marqués, F. Martín, M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with negative parameters: Theory, design and microwave applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2008.
- A. Serdyukov, I. Semchenko, S. Tretyakov, A. Sihvola, Electromagnetics of bi-anisotropic materials: Theory and applications, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 2001.
- A. I. Dimitriadis, D. Sounas, N.V. Kantartzis, C. Caloz, T.D. Tsiboukis, Surface susceptibility bianisotropic matrix model for periodic metasurfaces of uniaxially mono-anisotropic scatterers under oblique TE-wave incidence, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 2012 (to appear).
- R.E. Collin, Field theory of guided waves, IEEE Press, New Jersey, 1990.
- C.L. Holloway, M.A. Mohamed, E.F. Kuester, A. Dienstfrey, Reflection and transmission properties of a metafilm: with an application to a controllable surface composed of resonant particles, IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat. 47: pp. 853–865, 2005.
- CST MWS™: Computer Simulation Technology: Microwave Studio, Computer Simulation Technology Std., 2011.
- S. A. Tretyakov, Analytical modeling in applied electromagnetics, Arthech House Publishers, Boston, pp. 96–98, 2003.