Main Article Content
A compact, square shaped microstrip fractal antenna with asymmetrical pairs of T-slits for circularly polarized (CP) radiation and radio frequency identification (RFID) reader applications is proposed and experimentally investigated. Design is based on narrow slit modified Minkowski island fractal geometry. Circular polarization along with size reduction is achieved by inserting four symmetrical pairs of T-slits at the square patch boundary of the single-probe-feed radiator. Proposed geometry is tuned at resonant frequency of 914 MHz by optimization of dimensions of the two T-slits. Compactness of the antenna is achieved by increasing the overall sizes of the slits. Antenna is fabricated on FR4 substrate with a size of 47.2×47.2×1.6 mm3 (0.143λ0 X 0.143λ0 X 0.005λ0) and tested to validate the simulated results. The 3-dB axial-ratio (AR) bandwidth and impedance bandwidth of the proposed antenna design are found to be 7 MHz (911-918 MHz) and 24 MHz (909-933 MHz) respectively. A design equation is develped based on the parametric study that can be used to design a compact antenna with CP for UHF RFID applications covering the frequency range from 887 to 1023 MHz.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- K. Ahshan, H. Shah and P. Kingston, "RFID applications: an introductory and exploratory study," IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 7, Issue 1(3), January 2010.
- K. Finkenzeller, RFID Handbook, 2nd ed. New York: Wiley, 2003.
- H. L. Chung, X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband circularly polarized stacked probe-fed patch antenna for UHF RFID applications," Int. J. Antennas Propag., vol. 2007, pp. 1–9, 2007.
- Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Trans Microwave Theory Tech., vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1275–1282, May 2009.
- X. Chen, G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, Y.-L. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 9, 2010.
- C.-Y.-D. Sim and C.-J. Chi, "A slot loaded circularly polarized patch antenna for UHF RFID reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 4516–4521, Oct. 2012.
- Y.-F. Lin, C.-H. Lee, S.-C. Pan, and H.-M. Chen, "Proximity-fed circularly polarized slotted patch antenna for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 5283–5286, Oct. 2013.
- J.-H. Bang, C. Bat-Ochir, H.-S. Koh, E.-J. Cha, and B.-C. Ahn, "A small and lightweight antenna for handheld RFID reader applications", IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 11, 2012.
- X. Zhau, Y. Huang, J. Li, Q. Zhang and G. Wen, "Wideband high gain circularly polarised UHF RFID reader microstrip antenna and array", Int. J. Of AEU, vol. 77, pp. 76-81, 2017.
- J. S. Sun and C. H. Wu, "A broadband circularly polarised antenna of square ring patch for UHF RFID reader application", Int. J. Of AEU, vol. 85, pp. 84-90, 2018.
- Nasimuddin, Z.N.Chen, and X.Qing, "Asymmetric-circular shaped slotted microstrip antennas for circular polarization and RFID applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 3821–3828, Dec. 2010.
- P. C. Sharma and K. C. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 29, pp. 949–955, 1983.
- Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "A compact circularly polarized cross-shaped slotted microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1584–1588, March 2012.
- A. K. Gautam, A. Kunwar, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Circularly polarized arrowhead-shape slotted microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 13, 2014.
- Y.-F. Lin, Y.-K. Wang, H.-M. Chen, and Z.-Z. Yang, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1221–1227, March 2012.
- A. Farswan, A.K. Gautam,B. K. Kanaujia, K. Rambabu, "Design of Koch fractal circularly polarized antenna for handheld UHF RFID reader applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., vol.64, no. 2, pp.771-775, Feb.2016.
- V.V.Reddy and N.V.S.N.Sarma,"Triband circularly polarized Koch fractal boundary microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., vol. 13, 2014.
- Hong-Qi Cheng, Li-Bin Tian, Bin-Jie Hu, "Compact Circularly Polarized Square Microstrip Fractal Antenna with Symmetrical T-slits", in International Conf. on Wireless Communications, Network and Mobile Computing, pp. 613-616, Sept. 2007.
- IE3D Version 14.0. Fremont, CA, Zeland Software Inc., Oct. 2007.
- I. K. Kim, J. G. Yook, and H. K. Park, "Fractal-shape small size microstrip patch antenna", Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 15-17, Jul. 2002.
- Mahatthanajatuphat,C. and P.Akkaraekthalin, "An NP generator model for Minkowski fractal antenna," Proceeding of the 3rd ECTI-CON, vol. 2, pp.749–752, 2006.
- Shashi Kant Pandey, G. P. Pandey, and P. M. Sarun, "Fractal based triple band high gain monopole antenna," Frequentz , 1-7, Jan.2017, DOI 10.1515/freq-2016-0208.
- N. B. Jin, M.Y. Fan, and X. X. Zhang, "L-band circular polarization microstrip antenna based on the narrow-slot fractal method", in IEEE AP-S. Int. Symp. Dig., vol. 4, pp. 258-261, Jun. 2003.