Main Article Content
Achieving a particular response to serve multiple wireless applications is regarded as the primary demand in our modern age because of the considerable development of the communication devices. In this paper, a compact monopole antenna with reduced ground plane has been suggested to meet the requirements of the dual-band WLAN applications. The antenna miniaturization has been carried out in employing two techniques. Initially, the fractal geometry has been applied to the antenna radiating element. Two-sided Koch fractal curves up to the third iteration have been used to increase the path of electrical current on the surface of the radiating element which is in the form of a square with dimensions. To gain more miniaturization, the antenna ground plane has been further reduced by using different lengths of two open-ended parallel stubs to form a virtually extended ground plane. This supportive technique has been adopted as a tuning means to control the path of the electrical currents exciting the resulting resonances. The proposed antenna and has been printed on an FR-4 substrate with a thickness of 1.6 mm and 4.4 relative dielectric constant and is fed by 50-ohm microstrip feed line. The resulting antenna dimensions are of about 19.1 mm × 19.1 mm. A parametric study has been carried out, and the results reveal that the proposed antenna offers a dual-band performance with a considerable ratio of resonant frequencies covering the existing 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN applications, besides many other communication services.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- T. Ali, S. Pathan, R. C. Biradar, Multiband, frequency reconfigurable, and metamaterial antennas design techniques: Present and future research directions, Internet-Technology-Letters, 2018.
- B. B. Mandelbrot, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, San Francisco, CA: W. H. Freeman, 1982. J. Gouyet, Physics and Fractal Structures, New York: Springer, 1996.
- J. K. Ali, S. Abdulkareem, A. Hammoodi, A. Salim, M. Yassen, M. Hussan, H. Al-Rizzo, Cantor fractal-based printed slot antenna for dual-band wireless applications, Int. J. of Microwave and Wireless Techn., 8: 263-270, 2016.
- D. D. Krishna, M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Anandan, CPW-fed Koch fractal slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications, IEEE Ant. and Wireless Propag. Lett., 7: 389-392, 2008.
- M. T. Yassen, M. R. Hussan, H. A. Hammas, H. Al-Saedi J. K. Ali, A compact dual-band slot antenna based on Koch fractal snowflake annular ring, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., St. Petersburg, Russia, pp. 670– 674, 2017.
- J. K. Ali, M. T. Yassen, M. R. Hussan, A. J. Salim, A printed fractal based slot antenna for multi-band wireless communication applications, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Moscow, Russia, pp. 618 – 622, 2012.
- Ali, J. K., A. J. Salim, A. I. Hammoodi, H. Alsaedi, An ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with a fractal based reduced ground plane, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Moscow, Russia, pp. 613 - 617, 2012.
- Ali, J.K. and Ahmed, E.S., A new fractal based printed slot antenna for dual band wireless communication applications, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 1518-1521, 2012.
- Ali, J. K., Zaid A. A. AL-Hussain, A. A. Osman A. J. Salim, A new compact size fractal based microstrip slot antenna for GPS applications, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, pp. 700 – 703, 2012.
- Ali, T., Saadh Aw, M., and Biradar, R., A fractal quad-band antenna loaded with L-shaped slot and metamaterial for wireless applications, Int. J. of Microwave and Wireless Technology, pp. 1-9, 2018.
- S. F. Abdulkarim, A. J. Salim, J. Ali, A. I. Hammoodi, M. T. Yassen, M. R. Hassan, A compact Peano-type fractal based printed slot antenna for dual-band wireless applications, Proc. RFM2013, Penang, Malaysia, pp. 329 – 332, 2013.
- A. J. Salim, J. K. Ali, Design of internal dual band printed monopole antenna based on Peano-type fractal geometry for WLAN USB dongle, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Suzhou, China, pp. 1268 – 1272, 2011.
- S. F. Abdulkarim, A. J. Salim, A. I. Hammoodi, J. K. Ali, A fractal-based printed slot antenna for multi-band wireless applications, Proc. of Prog. In Electromag. Res. Symp., Stockholm, Sweden, pp. 1047 – 1051, 2013.
- J. K. Ali, A new microstrip-fed printed slot antenna based on Moore space-filling geometry," Proc., LAPC 2009, Loughborough, U.K, pp. 449-452, 2009.
- K. Xu, Z. Zhu, H. Li, J. Huangfu, C. Li, L. Ran, A printed single-layer UWB monopole antenna with extended ground plane stubs, IEEE Ant. and Wireless Propag. Lett. 12: 237-240, 2013.
- M. T. Tan, B. Z. Wang, Z. Wang, H. Y. Huang, M. S. Liang, A novel compact CPW-fed UWB planar antenna with L-shaped extended ground plane stubs, Proc. IEEE APSURSI, pp. 207-208, 2014. IE3D User's Manual, Zeland Software Inc., 2008.
- T. Ali, R. C. Biradar, A compact hexagonal slot dual band frequency reconfigurable antenna for WLAN applications, Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett. 59: 958– 964, 2017.
- H. Rajabloo, V. A. Kooshki, H. Oraizi, Compact microstrip fractal Koch slot antenna with ELC coupling load for triple band application, AEU International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 73: 144–149, 2017.
- A. A. Salih and M. S. Sharawi, A Dual-Band Highly Miniaturized Patch Antenna, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 15: 1783-1786, 2016.
- L. Li, X. Zhang, X. Yin and L. Zhou, "A Compact Triple- Band Printed Monopole Antenna for WLAN/WiMAX Applications," in IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 15: 1853-1855, 2016.
- Snehalatha, L., N. Pathak, S. Manhas, reconfigurable multibeam dual-band antenna based on Vee dipoles. Advanced Electromagnetics, 7: 19-24, 2018.
- Fei, L., K. Xu, P. Zhao, L. Dong, and G. Wang, Uniplanar dual-band printed compound loop antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications, Electronics Letters 53: 1083-1084, 2017.