Main Article Content
In this paper, performance of different indicators for the profiling of Ultra Wide Band (UWB) wireless propagation channel are analyzed. In particular, the γ-indicator and the kurtosis index k are compared in terms of the standard error. In order to improve the accuracy in the kurtosis case, results of the bootstrap error procedure are also accomplished. Further, an evaluation on the computational time needed for error estimation, is also provided. The comparison is made according to a real set of data derived from UWB measurement campaign accomplished within a modern laboratory/office building in which the two above mentioned indicators have been evaluated.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- L. Mucchi, P. Marcocci, "A New Parameter for UWB Indoor Channel Profile Identification", IEEE Trans. Wireless Communication, vol.8, no.4, pp.1597-1602, 2009.
- T. Santos, F. Tufvesson, A. F. Molish, "Modeling the ultra-wideband outdoor channel: model specification and validation", IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., vol.9, no.6, pp. 1987–1997, 2010.
- L. Mucchi, A. Sorrentino, A. Carpini, M. Migliaccio, G. Ferrara, "A Physically-Based Indicator for Identifying UWB Indoor Channel Condition", IET Microwave, Antennas & Propagation, 2014
- J. Xu, M. Ma, L. Law, "Performance of time-differenceof- arrival ultra wideband indoor localization", IET Science, Measurement & Technology", vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 46-53, 2011.
- C. Zhang, M. J. Kuhn, B. C. Merkl, A. E. Fathy, M. R. Mahfouz, "Real-time Noncoherent UWB positioning radar with millimiter rance accuracy: theoory and experiment", IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 9-20, 2010.
- G. D. Angelis, A. Moschitta, and P. Carbone, "Positioning techniques in indoor environments based on stochastic modeling of uwb round-trip-time measurements," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 2272–2281, 2016.
- L. Zhao, A. M. Haimovich, "Performance of ultrawideband communications in the presence of interference," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 20, December 2002.
- K. Hamaguchi, H. Ogawa, T. Kobaysashi, R. Kohno, "Development of Ultra-Wideband short-range impulse radar system for vehicular applications", IEICE Trans, Electron., vol. E88-c, no. 10, pp. 1922-1931, 2005.
- A. Sorrentino, F. Nunziata, G. Ferrara, M. Migliaccio, "Reverberating Chamber Profile Identification", IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol.6, no.13, 1468-1472, 2012.
- G. Ferrara, M. Migliaccio, F. Nunziata, A. Sorrentino, "GK-based observation of metallic objects at sea in fullresolution SAR data: a multi-polarization study", IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, vol 36, no2. 2011.
- A.Sorrentino, G.Ferrara, M.Migliaccio, "Kurtosis index to characterize near LOS conditions in reverberating chambers", IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, vol.7, no. 3, pp.175-179, 2013.
- B. Hardling, C. Tremblay, D. Cousineau, "Standard errors: a review and evaluation of standard error estimators using Monte Carlo simulations", Tutorials in Quantitative Methods for Psychology, vol. 10, no.2, pp. 107-123, 2014.
- B. Efron, R. J. Tibshirani, An Intorduction to the Bootstrap, Chpaman & Hall/CRC, New York, NY.
- S. H. Han, J. H. Lee, "An Overview of Peak-to-Average Power Ratio Reduction Techniques for Multicarrier Transmission", IEEE Wireless Communications, vol.12, no.2, pp.56-65, 2005.
- W. H. Press, S. A. Eukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recies in C: The Art of Scientific Computating, Second Edition, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 2002.
- J. Kenney and E. S. Keeping, Mathematics of Statistics, van Nostrand, 1963.