Main Article Content
Theoretical methods for the calculation of winding losses with respect to frequency have been well documented, but the variation in leakage inductance of magnetic components due to frequency has been less well addressed. In this paper Dowell’s well-known theoretical approach is tested using measurements and finite element analyses. The results presented show deficiencies in the accuracy of models generated using Dowell’s approach and highlight the trade-offs between model complexity, simulation time and accuracy when the finite element analysis method is applied. An alternative behavioral model is presented which models the frequency variation in leakage inductance accurately, is easy to characterize from simple measurements or calculations and is robust.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- P. Dowell, "Effects of eddy currents in transformer windings", Proceedings of the IEE, Vol. 113, No 8, 1966, p 1387.
- K.W.E. Cheng & P.D. Evans, Calculation of winding losses in high frequency toroidal inductors using single strand conductors, IEE Proceedings – Electric Power Applications, Vol. 141, No 2, Mar 1994, pp 52-62.
- K.W.E. Cheng & P.D. Evans, Calculation of winding losses in high frequency toroidal inductors using multi-strand conductors, IEE Proceedings – Electric Power Applications, Vol. 142, No 5, Sep 1995, pp 313-322.
- F. Robert, P. Mathys & J.P. Schauwers, "Ohmic Losses Calculation in SMPS Transformers: numerical study of Dowell's approach accuracy", IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol 34, No. 4, July 1998, pp. 1255-7.
- Niemela V.A., Skutt G.R., Urling A.M., Chang Y.N., Wilson T.G., Owen H.A., Wong R.C., "Calculating the short-circuit impedance of a multiwinding transformer from its geometry", IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), Vol 2, 1989, p 607-617.
- A. Dauhajre, "Modeling and Estimation of Leakage Phenomena in Magnetic Circuits", PhD Thesis, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, 1986.
- A. Dauhajre & R.D. Middlebrook, Modeling and estimation of leakage phenomenon in magnetic circuits, IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), 1986, pp 213-226.
- S.P. Hsu, R.D. Middlebrook & S. Cuk, "Transformer modeling and design for leakage control", Advances in Switched-Mode Power Conversion, 2nd Edition, TESLAco, 1983, Chapter 13, pp205-218.
- Hurley W.G., Wilcox D.J., "Calculation of Leakage Inductance in Transformer Windings", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 1, January 1994, pp121-126.
- P. P. Silvester & A. Konrad, Analysis of transformer leakage phenomena by high order finite elements, IEEE PES, 1973, p 1843.
- S. Tabaga, L. Pierrat & F. Blache, "Parameter Computation of a planar transformer by 3D Finite Element Method", EPE Conference Proceedings, Seville, 1995, pp 1.273-276
- G. Skutt, F.C. Lee, R. Ridley & D. Nicol, "Leakage Inductance and Termination Effects in a High Power Planar Magnetic Structure", IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition - APEC, Vol. 1, 1994, pp 295-301.
- Dai N., Lee F.C., "Characterization and Analysis of Parasitic Parameters and their effects in Power Electronics Circuit", IEEE Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), Vol. 2, (1996), pp 1370-1375.
- Dai N., Lee F.C., "High-Frequency Eddy-Current Effects in Low-Profile Transformer Windings", IEEE Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, v 1, (1997), pp 641-647.
- Charpentier J.F., Lefevre Y., Lajoie-Mazenc M., "A 2D Finite Element Formulation for the study of the high frequency behaviour of wound components", IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 32, No. 3, May 1996, pp 1098-1101.
- R. Asensi, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia, R. Prieto & J Uceda, New Modeling Strategy for high frequency transformer windings, IECON Proceedings, Vol. 1, (1995), pp 246-251.
- R. Asensi, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia, R. Prieto & J Uceda, A full procedure to model high frequency transformer windings, IEEE Power Electronics Specialist Conference Proceedings, Vol. 2, 1994, pp 856-863.
- R. Asensi, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia, R. Prieto & J Uceda, A CAD tool for magnetic components modeling, IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition - APEC, Vol. 1, 1996, pp 427-433.
- R. Prieto, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia, P. Alou & J. Uceda, "Taking into account all the parasitic effects in the design of magnetic components", APEC '98, Vol. 1, 1998, pp 400-406.
- R. Prieto, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia & J. Uceda, "Interleaving techniques in magnetic components", APEC '97, Vol. 2, pp931-936.
- R. Prieto, J.A. Cobos, O. Garcia & J. Uceda, "Influence of the winding strategy on the parasitics of magnetic components", Proceedings EPE '97, Vol. 2, pp 38-43.
- Okyere P.F. & Heinemann L., "An Advanced Spice-Compatible Model for High Frequency Multiwinding Transformers", IEEE Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), Vol. 1, 1999, pp 592-597.
- Evans P.D., Heffernan W.J.B., "Transformer for multimegahertz power applications", IEE Proceedings on Electric Power Applications, Vol. 142, No. 6, November 1995, pp 379-389.
- E.C. Cherry, "The duality between inter-linked electric and magnetic circuits", Proceedings of the Physics Society, Volume 62, 1949, pp 101-111.
- E. R. Laithwaite, "Magnetic Equivalent Circuits for electrical machines", PROC. IEE, Vol. 114, November 1967, pp 1805-1809.
- J. M. Lopera, A. M. Pernía, J. Díaz, J. M. Alonso and F. Nuño, "A complete transformer Electric Model, including Frequency and Geometric Effects", IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Toledo (Spain), June-July 1992, pp 1247-1252.
- A. M. Pernía, F. Nuño and J. M. Lopera, "Magnetic Elements Simulation in Power Converters", Congreso Internacional de Electrónica de Potencia, Puebla (Mexico), Aug. 1994, pp 74-79.
- A. M. Pernía, F. Nuño and J. M. Lopera, "1D/2D Transformer Electric Model for Simulation in Power Converters", IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Atlanta (USA), June 1995, pp. 1043-1049.
- M.J. Prieto, J.M Lopera, A.M. Pernía, F.F. Linera and F. Nuño, "High-Frequency magnetic elements design tool", IEEE Workshop on Computers in Power Electronics (COMPEL '98), Villa Erba (Italy), 1998, pp. 127-131.