Main Article Content
A compact coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed reconfigurable antenna with pattern diversity using multi-port excitation is designed. The basic antenna consists of a circular patch of radius 2.5mm which is fed by four ports independently. By exciting the patch with each individual port, the direction of the radiation pattern changes by 900. With the use of CPW feed technique, a very wide impedance bandwidth of around 12GHz (21.65 – 33.87 GHz) covering the K-band and Ka-band is achieved. The proposed antenna can be used for different satellite communication applications like earth exploration, radio navigation and location, mobile satellite communications which comes under K-band and Ka-band. The measured return loss and pattern characteristic results are in good agreement with simulated ones.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Jusoh, M., Sabapathy, T., Jamlos, M.F. & Kamarudin, M.R, Reconfigurable Four-Parasitic-Elements Patch Antenna for High-Gain Beam Switching Application, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 13: 79-82, 2014.
- Aboufoul, T., Parini, C., Xiaodong Chen & Alomainy, A, Pattern-Reconfigurable Planar Circular Ultra-Wideband Monopole Antenna, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 61: 4973-4980, 2013.
- Jalali Mazlouman, S., Mahanfar, A, Soleimani, M., Chan, H., Menon, C & Vaughan, R.G, Pattern Reconfiguration by Rotating Parasitic Structure Using Electro-Active Polymer (EAP) Actuator, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 62: 1046-1055, 2014.
- Yue Li, Zhijun Zhang, Jianfeng Zheng, Zhenghe Feng & Iskander, M.F, Experimental Analysis of a Wideband Pattern Diversity Antenna With Compact Reconfigurable CPW-to-Slotline Transition Feed, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 59: 4222-4228, 2011.
- Chih-Hsiang Ko, I-Young Tarn & Shyh-Jong Chung, A Compact Dual-Band Pattern Diversity Antenna by Dual-Band Reconfigurable Frequency-Selective Reflectors With a Minimum Number of Switches, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 61: 646-654, 2013.
- Jusoh, M., Aboufoul, T., Sabapathy, T., Alomainy, A. & Kamarudin, M.R, Pattern-Reconfigurable Microstrip Patch Antenna with Multidirectional Beam for WiMAX Application, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 13: 860-863, 2014.
- Liang Zhang, Qun Wu & Denidni, T.A, Electronically Radiation Pattern Steerable Antennas Using Active Frequency Selective Surfaces, IEEE Transactions Antennas and Propagation, 61: 6000-6007, 2013.
- R.N. Simons, Coplanar Waveguide circuits, Components and systems. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
- Blanch, S., Romeu, J. & Corbella, I, Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description, Electronics Letters, 39: 705-707, 2003.