Main Article Content
A novel compact broadband Canonical Sleeve Antenna (CSA) covering 500-3600 MHz with omni directional characteristics is presented in this paper. A new method is employed in which the radiating antenna structure is designed as combination of three different canonical structures: hemispherical, conical and cylindrical elements. To accomplish the broad bandwidth with compact size, dipole antenna is designed by using cylindrical sleeve over the hemispherical dipole with conical extensions and cylindrical attachments. Performance characteristics of CSA is simulated and compared with BiConical Antenna (BCA) and other antenna configurations and found to be best antenna configuration with compact form factor. The antenna has height of 111.43 mm and diameter of 116.66 mm. Simulation studies are carried out using CST Microwave Studio. The simulated results are validated by fabricating CSA and evaluating its performance metrics. CSA has 7.2:1 bandwidth with measured VSWR <2.7:1 and Gain varies from 0 to 3.6 dBi. The antenna finds use in wireless communication industry, spectrum monitoring and defence applications.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Y.T. Lo, S.W. Lee, Antenna handbook, Vol.1, Van Nostrand Reinhold Pub. New York, pp. 3-27 to 3-30, 1994.
- Constantine A Balanis, Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Publication, pp. 399-417, 2008.
- Shawn D. Rogers and Chalmers M. Butler, Wide-band Sleeve-Cage and Sleeve-Helical Antennas, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 10, pp. 1409-1414, October 2002.
- M. Ali, S.S. Stuchly, K. Caputa, A Wideband Dual Meander Sleeve Antenna, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S Digest, 18-23 June 1995.
- Bin Zhou, Qizhong Liu, YicaiJi, Research on A Novel Sleeve Antenna and its Applications, IEEE Intemational Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications Proceedings, pp. 330-333, 2005.
- James L. McDonal, Farzin Lalezari and Dejan S.Filipovic, Design of a Broadband Biconically offset fed thick dipole, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3-8 July 2005.
- Chritz Duncan and Edward Lule, Half Disc Element Dipole Antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3-8 July 2005.
- J. Anguera, J.P. Daniel, C. J. Mumbrú, C. Puente, T. Leduc, K. Sayegrih, and P. Van Roy, Metallized Foams for Antenna Design: Application to Fractal- Shaped Sierpinski-Carpet Monopole, Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 104, 239-251, 2010.
- C.B. Ravipati and C.J. Reddy, Low profile Disc and Sleeve Monopole Antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 3-8 July 1995.
- Chen Jin, Fu Guang, Wu Guang-de, A miniaturized Loaded Open Sleeve Antenna, IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation, and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications, pp. 523-526, 2007.
- Zhong-Da Wu, Fan-Yi Meng, Jun Hua, Mei-Liang Chen, Broadband Sleeve Monopole with very Small Ground Impedance Matching Network and Resistive Load, 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves (GSMM 2012), May 27-30, 2012, pp. 88-91, 2012.
- Waqas Mazhar, Farooq Ahmad Tahirand Farooq Ahmad Bhatti, High-power broadband-loaded monopole antenna with sleeve ground plane for portable applications, Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 802–814, 2014.
- K. George Thomas, N. Lenin, and M. Sreenivasan, Wide-Band Dual Sleeve Antenna, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 1034-1037, March 2006.
- T. Khumanthem, S.D. Ahirwar, C. Sairam, Ashwani Kumar, Design of Broadband Rectangular Sleeve Dipole Antenna Covering 850-2500MHz, International Conference on Recent Advances in Microwave Theory and Applications, 21-24, Jaipur, India, pp. 492-494, Nov., 2008.
- Tao Jian, Chang Su, Cheng-Yuan Liu, Ying-Song Li, A novel multi-sleeve antenna for mobile communications applications, 6th International Conference on Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), 23rd -25th Sep. 2010.
- S.L. Zuo, Y.Z. Yin, Z.Y. Zhang and K. Song, Enhanced bandwidth of low profile sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application, Electronic Letters, Vol. 46, No. 24, 25th Nov. 2010.
- Z.-Y. Zhang, G. Fu S.Gong, S.Zuo and Q.Lu, Sleeve monopole antenna for DVB-H Applications, Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, pp. 879-880, June 2010.