Main Article Content
A novel compact planar UHF RFID tag with broadband operation and enhanced read range characteristics are presented. The structure of the tag consists of a T- matched dipole antenna whose arms are orthogonally loaded with Triangular SRR arrays. Triangular SRR arms loaded in the structure produce compactness and good impedance matching which is needed for maximizing the read range. The measured results shows that the projected tag shows a highest read range of 9.6 meter in the European UHF RFID band of 866 MHz and significantly better read range in the other UHF RFID bands in the 860-930 MHz range . Measured read range differences over the azimuth and elevation angular ranges are also suggested.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- K. Finkenzeller, RFID Handbook: radio-frequency identification fundamentals and applications, 3rd ed. John Wiley& Sons Inc, UK, 2010.
- D. M. Dobkin, The RF in RFID: Passive UHF RFID in practice, Elsevier, Newnes, 2007.
- K. V. S Rao, P. V. Nikitin, Antenna design for UHF RFID tags: A review and a practical application, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat, vol.53, no.12 pp. 3870- 3876, 2005.
- E. Perret, S. Tedjini, R. S. Nair, Design of antennas for UHF RFID tags, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol.100, no.7, 2330-2340, 2012.
- S. Jeon, Y. Yu, J. Choi, Dual band slot-coupled dipole antenna for 900 MHz and 2.45 GHz RFID tag application, Electron. Lett, vol.42, no.22, 2006
- M. Z. Zhang, S. Yan, A novel dual-band dipole antenna for RFID tag, IEEE Int. conf. on logistics engineering and intelligent transportation system, pp. 1-2, 2010.
- M. Abraham, K. K. J. Aju, J. K. Fijo, and T. Mathew, UHF RFID dipole tag with modified multi-fractal Cantor arms for enhanced read range, Microwave. Opt. Tech. Lett., vol.58, no.5, 2016.
- Y. Choi, U. Kim, J. Kim, and J. Choi, Design of modified folded dipole antenna for UHF RFID tag, Electron. Lett, vol.45, no.8, pp. 387-389, 2009.
- S. Genovesi, A. Monorchio, Low profile three arm folded dipole antenna for UHF band RFID tags mountable on metallic objects, IEEE antennas and wireless prop. Letters, vol.9, pp.1225-1228, 2010.
- H. D. Chen, Y. H. Tsao, Low profile meandered patch antennas for RFID tags mountable on metallic objects, IEEE antennas and wireless prop. Letters, vol.9, pp.118-121, 2010.
- F. Paredes, G. Zamora, F. J. H. Martinez, F. Martin, and J. Bonache, Dual-band UHF RFID tags based on meander-line antennas loaded with spiral resonators, IEEE antennas and wireless prop. Letters, vol.10, pp.768-771, 2011.
- L. Ukkonen, L. Sydanheimo, Impedance matching consideration for passive UHF RFID tags, Proc. Of the Asia Pacific Microwave conference, Singapore, pp. 2367-2370, 2009.
- M. T. Reich, C. B. Reich, UHF RFID impedance matching: when is a T-match not a T-match, IEEE International conference on RFID, Orlando, pp. 23–30, 2014.
- J. Xi, H. Zhu, UHF RFID impedance matching: Tmatch- dipole tag design on the highway, IEEE International conference on RFID, USA, pp. 86–93, 2015.
- J. Z. Huang, P. H. Yang, W. C. Chew, and T. T. Ye, A novel broadband patch antenna for universal UHF RFID tags, Microwave. Opt. Tech. Lett., vol.52, no.12, 2010.
- Z. J. Tang, X. F. Wu, J. Zhan, S. G. Hu, Broadband UHF RFID tag antenna design matched with different RFID chips, Microwave. Opt. Tech. Lett., vol.56, no.1, 2014.
- M. Jibish, M. Abraham, C. K. Aanandan, and T. Mathew, A broad band miniaturized UHF RFID dipole tag antenna with tapered meandered arms, Microwave. Opt. Tech. Lett., vol.59, no.5, 2017.
- B. D. Braaten, A Novel Compact UHF RFID Tag Antenna Designed with Series Connected Open Complementary Split Ring Resonator (OCSRR) Particle, IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., vol.58, no.11 pp. 3728-3733, 2010.
- K. K. J. Aju, M. Abraham, and T. Mathew, SRR loaded compact UHF RFID tag for broadband operation, Prog. Electromagnetic Research C., vol.70, pp. 175-182, 2016.