Main Article Content
This paper focuses on the derivation of enhanced transmission-line models allowing to describe, in time and frequency domain, a realistic interconnect with the inclusion of external uncertainties, like process variations or routing and layout uncertainties. The proposed method, that is based on the expansion of the well-known telegraph equations in terms of orthogonal polynomials, turns out to be accurate and more efficient than alternative solutions like Monte Carlo method in determining the transmissionline response sensitivity to parameters variability. Moreover, an implementation into standard circuit analysis tools such as SPICE is possible. Two application examples based on PCB structures of common use in commercial packages conclude the paper.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- D. Xiu, G. E. Karniadakis, The Wiener-Askey Polynomial Chaos for Stochastic Differential Equations, SIAM Journal of Sci. Computation 24(2): 619–622, 2002.
- C. Chauviere, J. S. Hesthaven, L. Lurati, Computational Modeling of Uncertainty in Time-Domain Electromagnetics, SIAM Journal of Sci. Computation 28(2): 751–775, 2006.
- R. Gaignaire, S. Clenet, B. Sudret, O. Moreau, 3-D Spectral Stochastic Finite Element Method in Electromagnetism, IEEE Trans. on Magnetics 43(4): 1209–1212, 2007.
- R. S. Edwards, A. C. Marvin, S. J. Porter, Uncertainty Analyses in the Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat. 52(1): 155–163, 2010.
- M. Liu, Z. Gao, J. S. Hesthaven, Adaptive Sparse Grid Algorithms with Applications to Electromagnetic Scattering Under Uncertainty, Applied Numerical Mathematics 61(1): 24–37, 2011.
- K. Beddek, Y. Le Menach, S. Clenet, O. Moreau, 3-D Stochastic Spectral Finite-Element Method in Static Electromagnetism Using Vector Potential Formulation, IEEE Trans. on Magnetics 47(5): 1250–1253, 2011.
- K. Beddek, S. Cl’enet, O. Moreau, V. Costan, Y. Le Menach, A. Benabou, Adaptive Method for Non-Intrusive Spectral Projection—Application on a Stochastic Eddy Current NDT Problem, IEEE Trans. on Magnetics 48(2): 759–762, 2012.
- I.S. Stievano, P. Manfredi, F.G. Canavero, Parameters Variability Effects on Multiconductor Interconnects via Hermite Polynomial Chaos, IEEE Trans. Comp. Pack. & Man. Tech. 1(8): 1234–1239, 2011.
- P. Manfredi, I.S. Stievano, F.G. Canavero, Alternative SPICE Implementation of Circuit Uncertainties Based on Orthogonal Polynomials, Proc. 19th IEEE Conf. Electri. Perfor. Electron. Pack. Sys., San Jose, CA, U.S.A., pp. 41–44, 2011.
- R.G. Ghanem, P.D. Spanos, Stochastic Finite Elements. A Spectral Approach, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1991.
- A. Papoulis, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1965.
- C.R. Paul, Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, Wiley, New York, 1994. K. Umashankar, Introduction to Engineering Electromagnetic Fields, World Scientific Publishing, Singapore, 1989.
- A. Rong, A.C. Cangellaris, Interconnect Transient Simulation in the Presence of Layout and Routing Uncertainty, Proc. 19th IEEE Conf. Electri. Perfor. Electron. Pack. Sys., San Jose, CA, U.S.A., pp. 157–160, 2011.
- B.C. Wadell, Transmission Line Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, 1991.