Main Article Content
This paper describes the method of optimum design of multilayer perforated electromagnetic shield using Evolutionary algorithms, namely Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm (PSO) and Genetic Algorithm (GA). Different parameters which are inherently conflicting in nature corresponds to the multilayer structure of the electromagnetic shields have been considered. The goal is to minimize the overall mass of the shield with respect to its shielding effectiveness and cost. Three different models are considered and synthesized using evolutionary algorithms. Numerical optimal results for each model using different algorithms are presented and compared with each other to establish the effectiveness of the proposed method of designing.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Hemming, L. H., Architectural Electromagnetic Shielding Hand book: A Design and Specification Guide, New York, USA: IEEE Press, 1992.
- Chung, D. D. L, Materials for Electromagnetic Interference Shielding, Journal of Materials Engineering and performance, Vol. 9(3), 350–354, June 2000.
- Kieser, Bernhard, Principle of Electromagnetic compatibility, Artech House, 1987.
- Saliovich, A. B., Electromagnetic Shielding Handbook for Wired and Wireless Emc Applications, Kluwer Academic Pub, 1999.
- Kaiser, K. L., Electromagnetic Shielding, Taylor & Francis, 2005.
- Mottahed, B. D. and Manoochehri, S, Joint design methodology based on the electromagnetic shielding effectiveness capabilities, IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology: Part B, Vol. 19,No. 1, 238–247, Feb 1996.
- Colotti, J., EMC Design Fundamentals , Systems, Applications and Technology Conference, 2006. LISAT 2006. IEEE Long Island, NY, pp. 1-2, 2006.
- Schulz R. B., Plantz, V. C. and Brush, D. R., Shielding theory and practice, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 30, No. 3, 187–201, Aug 1988.
- Biswas, S., Rakshit, P., Dey, T. K., Design of wire mesh shield-an analytical approach and testing of its performance, Electro Magnetic Interference and Compatibility (INCEMIC), 2006 Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on, Bangalore, 132– 137, 2006.
- Antonini, G. and Orlandi, A., Optimal electromagnetic shielding design considering multiple constraints, Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2000. IEEE International Symposium, Vol. 2, 711–716, Washington DC, 2000.
- Ziolkowski, M. and Gratkowski, S. R., Genetic Algorithm and Bezier Curves-Based Shape Optimization of Conducting Shields for Low-Frequency Magnetic Fields,IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 06, June 2008.
- Kennedy, J. and Eberhart, R. C., Particle swarm optimization. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ., 1942– 1948, 1995.
- Boeringer, D. W. and Werner, D. H., Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 771–779, 2004.
- Haupt, R. L., Introduction to genetic algorithms for electromagnetics, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 37, No. 2, 7–15, 1995.
- Jain, R. and Mani, G. S., Solving Antenna Array Thinning Problem Using Genetic Algorithm, Applied Computational Intelligence and Soft Computing, Vol. 2012, pp.14, 2012.
- Man, K., Tang, K. and Kwong, S., Genetic algorithms: concepts and applications [in engineering design], Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 519-534, Oct 1996.
- Marcano, D. and Duran, F., Synthesis of antenna arrays using genetic algorithms, Antennas and Propagation Magazine, IEEE, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 12-20, Jun 2000.
- Mandal, D., Kola, K. S. and Bhattacharjee, A., Sidelobe Reduction of a Scanned Circular Array using Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm,International Journal of Recent Trends in Electrical and Electronics Engg.,vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 54-61, Dec. 2013.