Main Article Content
The experimental and simulation studies of the radiation performance enhancement of a dipole antenna using metal strip grating are presented in this paper. The subwavelength imaging configuration of the metal strip grating is utilized for enhancing the radiation performance of a dipole antenna working in the S-band. The resultant design shows a gain of 9 dBi and front to back ratio of the design is found to be -23 dB at resonance. The coupling between electric and magnetic resonances provides the necessary impedance matching performance when the antenna is brought in the vicinity of the grating.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A.F Harvey, "Periodic and guiding structures at microwave frequencies," IRE Tans. Microw. Theory and Tech., vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 30-61, 1960.
- R.E Collin, "Field theory of guided waves," Second edition, IEEE Press, New York.
- Winston E. Kock, "Metal-Lens Antennas," Proc. of IRE and waves and electrons, vol. 47, pp. 2075–2081, 1946.
- S.B Cohn, "Analysis of the metal strip delay dielectrics", Journal of Applied Physics, no.20, 1949.
- I.H Bahl, K.C Gupta, "A leaky wave antenna using an artificial dielectric medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., pp.119-122, 1974.
- Walter Rotman "Plasma simulation by artificial dielectrics and parallel plate media," IRE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 73, pp.92-95, 1962.
- J.B Pendry, A.J Holden, W.J Stewart, I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic meso-structures," Physical Rev. Lett., vol. 76, no. 25, pp. 4773-4776, 1996.
- Richard W. Ziolkowski, Allison D. Kripple, "Reciprocity between the effects of resonant scattering and enhanced radiated power by electrically small antennas in the presence of nested metamaterial shells ", Phys. Rev. E, vol. 72, pp. 036602(1-5), 2005.
- Richard W. Ziolkowski, Allison D. Kripple, "Application of double negative materials to increase the power radiated by electrically small antennas ", IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2626-26402003.
- A. Foroozesh and L. Shafai, "Application of combined electric- and magnetic-conductor ground planes for antenna performance enhancement" Can. Journal of Elect. Comp. Eng., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 87-98, 2008.
- Dan Sievenpiper, Jim Schaffner, J.J Lee, Stan Livingston, "A steerable leaky wave antenna using a tunable impedance ground plane", IEEE Antennas and wireless propag. Lett, vol. 1, pp.179-182, 2002.
- Sarin V.P, Jayakrishnan M.P, Aanandan C.K, Pezholil M, Kesavath V, "A Metamaterial backed dipole antenna for high gain directional communications", Advanced Electromagnetics, vol. 5, no. 1, 2016.
- Aycan Erentok, Paul L. Luljack, Richard W. Ziolkowski, "Characterization of a volumetric metamaterial realization of an artificial magnetic conductor for antenna applications", IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag. vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 160–172, 2005.
- P. A. Belov, C. R. Simovski, "Canalization of subwavelength images by electromagnetic crystals," Physical Rev. B, vol. 71, no. 193105, pp. 1–4, 2005.
- S. Kosulnikov, D. Filonov, S. Glybovski, P. Belov, S. Tretyakov C. Simovski, "Wire-Medium Hyperlens for Enhancing Radiation From Subwavelength Dipole Sources," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag. vol. 63, no. 11, pp. 4848–4856, 2015.
- T. A. Morgado and M. G. Silveirinha, "Super-collimation of the radiation by a point source in a uniaxial wire medium," EPJ Appl. Metamat., vol. 2, no.14, pp. 2-8, 2016.
- Mohammad Memarian, George V. Eleftheriades, "Evanescent to propagating wave conversion in subwavelength metal strip gratings", IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 60 (2012), 3893-3907.
- Mohammad Memarian, George V. Eleftheriades, "Enhanced radiation of an invisible array of sources through a sub-wavelength metal-strip grating and applications", Journal of Applied Physics, 114 (2013), 134902.
- G. Fedorov, S.I Maslowski, A.V Dorofeenko, A.P Vinogradov, I.A Ryzhikov, S.A Tretyakov, "Subwavelength imaging: Resolution enhancement using metal wire gratings", Physical Review B, 73 (2006), 035409 (1-7).
- A. Foroozesh and L. Shafai, "Application of combined electric and magnetic conductor ground planes for antenna performance enhancement", Canadian Journal of Electrical and computer engineering, 33 (2008), 87-98.
- Yuehe Ge, Karu P. Esselle, Trevor S. Bird, "The use of simple thin partially reflective surfaces with positive reflection phase gradients to design wideband, low profile, EBG resonator antennas", IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 60 (2011), 743-750.
- D. M. Sullivan, "Electromagnetic Simulation Using the FDTD Method," IEEE Press series on RF and microwave technology, 2000.
- Sarin V. Pushpakaran, Nishamol M. SeidMuhammed, Rohith K. Raj, Anju Pradeep, P. Mohanan, Kesavath Vasudevan, "A compact stacked dipole antenna with directional radiation coverage for wireless applications", IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., vol.12, pp. 841-844, 2013.