Main Article Content
We describe here a Vector Finite Difference approach to the evaluation of waveguide eigenvalues and modes for rectangular, circular and elliptical waveguides. The FD is applied using a 2D cartesian, polar and elliptical grid in the waveguide section. A suitable Taylor expansion of the vector mode function allows to take exactly into account the boundary condition. To prevent the raising of spurious modes, our FD approximation results in a constrained eigenvalue problem, that we solve using a decomposition method. This approach has been evaluated comparing our results to the analytical modes of rectangular and circula rwaveguide, and to known data for the elliptic case.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A. Wexler, Solution of waveguide discontinuities by modal analysis, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. MTT-15, pp.508-517, September 1967.
- R. E. Collin, Field Theory of Guided Waves, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2001.
- G. Mazzarella, G. Montisci, Accurate Characterization of the Interaction between Coupling Slots and Waveguide Bends in Waveguide slot Arrays, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol.48, issue (7), pp. 1154-1157, July 2000.
- G. Montisci, G. Mazzarella, Full-wave analysis of a waveguide printed slot, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, Issue (8), pp. 2168-2171, 2004.
- G. Mazzarella, G. Montisci, Accurate modeling of coupling junctions in dielectric covered waveguide slot arrays, Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 17, pp. 59-71, 2011.
- T. Itoh, Numerical Techniques for Microwave and Millimeter-wave Passive Structures,Wiley , NY, 1989.
- A. Fanti, G. Mazzarella, A Finite Difference polarcartesian grid approach for mode computation in rounded-end waveguides, Aces Journal , Vol. 26, no. 9, pp. 768-775, September 2011.
- W. Gander, G. H. Golub, U. Von Matt, A constrained eigenvalue problem, Linear Algebra and its Applications, vol.114-115, pp 815-839,March-April 1989.
- L. J. Chu, Electromagnetic waves in elliptic hollow pipes of metal, J.Appl. Phys., vol. 9, pp. 583-591, September 1938.
- J. Van Bladel, Electromagnetic Fields,Wiley Interscience, New York, 1985.
- G. H. Golub, C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, 3rd ed.,The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1996.
- A. Fanti, A Generalized finite difference approach to the computation of modes, PhD Thesis, University of Cagliari , 2012.
- Sh. Zhang, Y. Chen, Eigenmodes Sequence for an Elliptical Waveguides with Arbitrary Ellipticity, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol.43, issue (1), pp. 227-230, Jan. 1995.