Main Article Content
The shielding effectiveness (SE) has become afundamental step in testing active or passive electricdevices. The Reverberating Chamber (RC) is a wellestablishedmethod for determining the SE since has theadvantage to expose the material to a more realisticenvironment. In this paper the SEe of electrically largeenclosure with a metallic mesh grid in a RC is evaluated.Enclosures made with metallic mesh are considered. Inparticular, it is shown that the SE of a material is unable toprovide complete information for the SEe of electricallylarge enclosure made with the same material. Moreover,this latter one is related to the loading conditions within theenclosure itself. Measurements accomplished at RC of theUniversità di Napoli Parthenope (formerly IstitutoUniversitario Navale, IUN) confirm the physical soundnessof the proposed approach.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- C. L. Holloway, D. A. Hill, M. Sandroni, J. M. Ladbury, J. Coder, G. Koeple, A. C. Marvin, and Y. He, “Use of revereration chambers to determine the shielding effectiveness of physical small, electrically large enclosures and cavities,” IEEE Trans. On. Electromag. Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 770-782, 2008.
- D. A. Hill, M. T. Ma, A. R. Ondrejka, B. F. Riddle, M. L. Crawford, and R. T. Johnk, “Aperture excitation of electrically large, lossy cavities,” IEEE Trans. On. Electromagn. Compatibility, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 169-178, 1994.
- C. L. Holloway, D. A. Hill, J. Ladbury, G. Koepke, R. Gracia, “Shielding effectiveness measurements of materials using nested reverberation chamber,” IEEE Trans. On. Electromag. Compatibility, Vol. 45, No. 2, 350-356, 2003.
- K.F.Casey, “Electromagnetic shielding behavior of wire mesh screens”, IEEE Trans. On. Electromag. Compatibility, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp.298-306, 1988.
- V. M. Primiani, F. Moglie, A. P. Pastore, “Field penetration through a wire mesh screen excited by a reverberation chamber field: FDTD analysis and experiments”, IEEE Trans. On. Electromag. Compatibility, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp.883-891, 2009.
- A. Gifuni, M. Migliaccio, “Used of nested reverberating chambers to measure shielding effectiveness of nonreciprocal samples taking into account multiple interactions”, IEEE Trans. On. Electromag. Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 783-786, 2008.
- A. Gifuni, “Relation between the shielding effectiveness of an electrically large enclosure and the wall material under ideal field conditions,” submitted to IEEE Trans. On Electromagnetic Compatibility .
- A.Gifuni, "On the measurement of the absorption cross section and material reflectivity in a reverberation chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol.51, pp. 1047-1050, 2009.
- A. Gifuni, A. Sorrentino, G. Ferrara, M. Migliaccio, A. Fanti, G. Mazzarella, “Measurements on the Reflectivity of materials in a reverberating chamber”, Proceeding on Antenna and Propagation Conference (LAPC), pag.1-4, 2011.
- D. A. Hill, "A reflection coefficient derivation for the Q of a reverberantion chamber," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol.38, pp.591-592, November 1996.
- N. F. Colaneri and L. W. Shacklette, "EMI shielding measurements of conductive polymer blends," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., vol.41, pp.291-297, April 1992.
- P. Corona, G.Latmiral, and E.Paolini, L. Piccioli, "Use of reverberating enclosure for measurements of radiated power in the microwave range", IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., vol.18, pp. 54-59, May 1976.
- A. Gifuni, “Calcolo delle perdite elettromagnetiche nelle pareti delle camere riverberanti”, Università degli studi di Napoli “Parthenope”, Dipartimento per le Tecnologie, Napoli 2004.
- B.N. Taylor and C.E. Kuyatt, “Guidelines for evaluating and expressing the uncertainty of NIST measurement results, “NIST Tech. Note 1297, Sept. 1994.