Main Article Content
In this paper, we present one of the most important failure analysis tools that permits the localizing and the identification of the failure mechanisms. It is a new spectral photon emission system, enabling to localize the failure, and quickly get the photon emission spectra that characterize the failure with high resolution. A diffraction grating is used as a spectrometer in the system. Application results on mechatronic power devices such as HEMT AlGaN/GAN and SiC MOSFETs are reported.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- S. M. Kudva et al., The SEMATECH Failure Analysis Roadmap, Proc Int Symp Testing & Failure Analysis (ISTFA 1995), 6-10 Nov 95, Santa Clara, California, USA, pg 1-5, 1995.
- I. De Wolf and M.S. Rasras. Spectroscopic photon emission microscopy: a unique tool for failure analysis of microelectronics devices. Microelectronics Reliability, 41(8):1161-1169, August 2001.
- J. M. Tao et al. , Analysis And Quantification Of Device Spectral Signatures Observed Using A Spectroscopic Photon Emission Microscope, Proceedings of 6th IPFA '97, Singapore 1997.
- J. C. H. Phang, D. S. H. Chan, et al. A review of near infrared photon emission microscopy and spectroscopy. In Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits, 2005. IPFA 2005. Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on the, pages 275-281. IEEE, June 2005.
- J. Tao, P. Fang, and J. Wang. Backside IR photon emission microscopy (IR-PEM) observation in failure analysis of the packaged devices. In Electronic Packaging Technology, 2007. ICEPT 2007. 8th International Conference on, pages 1-4, IEEE, August 2007.
- J. Kolzer, C. Boit, A. Dallmann, G. Deboy, J. Otto, D. Weinmann, "Quantitative Emission Microscopy", J Appl Phys, Vol 70, No 11, pg 23-41,1992.
- Y. Y. Liu, J. M. Tao, D. S. H. Chan, J. C. H. Phang, and W. K. Chim. A new spectroscopic photon emission microscope system for semiconductor device analysis. In Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits, 1995., Proceedings of the 1995 5th International Symposium on the, pages 60-65. IEEE, November 1995.
- D. S. H. Chan, J. C. H. Phang, W. K. Chim, et al. Design and performance of a new spectroscopic photon emission microscope system for the physical analysis of semiconductor devices. Review of Scientific Instruments, 67(7):2576-2583, July 1996.
- K. De Kort, P. Damink, H. Boots, Spectrum Emitted by Hot Electrons in p-i-n Cold Cathodes, Physical B, Vol 48, No 16,pg 11912-11920, 1993.
- K. De Kort and P. Damink, The spectroscopic signature of light emitted by integrated circuits, Proceeding of the European Symposium on Reliability of Electron Devices, Failure Physics and Analysis (ESREF'90), p. 45, 1990.
- M.S Rasras, I. De Wolf, G. Groeseneken, and H. E. Maes. Spectroscopic identication of light emitted from defects in silicon devices. Journal of Applied Physics, 89(1):249-258, January 2001.
- S.C. Tan, K. Toh, J. Phang, D. Chan, et al. . A Near-Infrared, continuous wavelength, In-Lens spectroscopic photon emission microscope system. In Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits, 2007. IPFA 2007. 14th International Symposium on the. IEEE, July 2007.
- P. Scholz, A. Glowacki, U. Kerst, C. Boitet al. , Single image spectral electroluminescence (photon emission) of GaN HEMTs. In Reliability Physics Symposium (IRPS), 2013 IEEE International, pages CD.3.1-CD.3.7. IEEE, April 2013.
- M. Armstrong, Investigation of deep level defects in GaN:C,GaN:Mg AND Pseudomorphic AlGaN/GaN Films; Thesis dissertation University of Ohio, 2006.
- A. Armstrong, A. R. Arehart, Impact of carbon on trap states in n-type GaN grown by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition, App. Phy Vol 84, Num 3. 2004.
- J. Casady, J. Palmour, High Megawatt Direct-Drive Motors and Front-End Power Electronics Workshop -Sept 2014, Panel: WBG Devices Cost and Development Roadmap: http://www.nist.gov/pml/high_megawatt/sept2014_presentations.cfm