Main Article Content
In the present work, we propose a voltage control oscillator (VCO) at high frequency consists of nonlinear composite right/left-handed transmission line (CRLH-TL) loaded with Resonant Tunneling Diode (RTD). We designed three prototype device examples. The first one consists of one cell with short circuit at the beginning of the cell between ground and patch, and 50 Ω load resistance were added at the end of the cell between ground and patch. The second one is similar to the first prototype but with open circuit at the beginning of the cell instated of short circuit. The third prototype consists of one cell with two 50 Ω load resistances added between ground and patch at the beginning and at the end of the cell. The proposed VCO models are capable of generating oscillations at frequencies between 4.87- 14.9 GHz. In our simulations, we used OrCAD and ADS software to analyze the proposed circuit.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- V. G. Veselago, The electrodynamics of substance with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ, Sov. Phy.Usp. 10: 509-514, 1968.
- R. A. Shelby, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction, Science 292: 77-79, 2001.
- J. B. Pendry, Negative refraction makes a perfect lens, Phys. Rev Lett. 85: 3966-3969, 2000.
- A. Gribe and G. Eleftheriades, Growing evanescent waves in negative-refractive index, App. Phys. Lett. 82: 1815-1817, 2003.
- H. J. El-Khozondar, M. S. Müller, R. J. El-Khozondar, M. M. Shabat, A. W. Koch, Temperature sensitivity of TE double-negative metamaterial optical sensor, Poc. Of SPIE Vol. 7390: 73900A 1-8, 2009.
- H. J. El-Khozondar, M. Müller, R. J. El-Khozondar, M. M. Shabat, A. W. Koch, Sensitivity of double-negative metamaterial optical sensor, International Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology (IJPAST) 11: 29-39, 2012.
- H. J. El-Khozondar, R. J. El-Khozondar, M. M. Shabat, A. W. Koch, Coupling efficiency of nonreciprocal optical isolator with metamaterials substrate and linear cladding, Metamaterials: Fundamentals and Applications II, Conference 7392 – Proceedings of SPIE Volume 7392: 2 – 5, 2009.
- R. El-Khozondar, H. El-Khozondar, M. Shabat, Applications of metamaterials in optical waveguide isolator, Journal of Al-Aqsa University series of natural science 12: 35-50, 2008.
- J. D. Baena, J. Bonache, F. Martín, R. Marqués, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. García, I. Gil, and M. Sorolla, Equivalent circuit models for split ring resonators and complementary split rings resonators coupled to planar transmission lines, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. 53: 1451–1461, 2005.
- M. Gil, J. Bonache, J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Martel, and F. Martin, Composite right/left-handed metamaterial transmission lines based on complementary split-rings resonators and their applications to very wideband and compact filter design, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. 55: 1296-1304, 2007.
- J. Ling, Resonant tunneling diodes: Theory of operation and applications, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- M. G. Barba, Resonant-type metamaterial transmission lines and their application to microwave device design, Doctoral Thesis, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona ,2009.
- M. Gil, J. Bonache, J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Martel, and F. Martin, Composite right/left-handed metamaterial transmission lines based on complementary split-rings resonators and their applications to very wideband and compact filter, IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. 55: 1296-1304, 2007.
- M. Reddy, Schottky-collector resonant tunnel diodes for sub-millimeter-wave applications, University of California Santa Barbara, 1997.
- T. J. Slight, B. Romeira, L. Wang, J. M. L. Figueiredo, E. Wasige, & C. N. Ironside, A Liénard Oscillator Resonant Tunnelling Diode-Laser Diode Hybrid Integrated Circuit: Model and Experiment, IEEE journal of quantum electronics 44: 1158-1163, 2008.