Main Article Content
The radiation characteristics of the dielectric resonator antennas (DRA) is enhanced using different types of solid and discrete dielectric lenses. One of these approaches is by loading the DRA with planar superstrate, spherical lens, or by discrete lens (transmitarray). The dimensions and dielectric constant of each lens are optimized to maximize the gain of the DRA. A comparison between the radiations characteristics of the DRA loaded with different lenses are introduced. The design of the dielectric transmitarray depends on optimizing the heights of the dielectric material of the unit cell. The optimized transmitarray achieves 7 dBi extra gain over the single DRA with preserving the circular polarization. The proposed antenna is suitable for various applications that need high gain and focused antenna beam.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- R. K. Mongia and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric Resonator Antennas: AReview and General Design Relations for Resonant Frequency and Bandwidth," Int. J. Microwave Millimeter-Wave Eng., vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 230-24, July 1994.
- Y. T. Lo, and S. W. Lee, Antenna Handbook: Theory, Applications, and Design, New York, USA, Springer; 1 edition, June 30, 1988. C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed, New York, USA, John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
- M. Ruphuy, Z. Ren, and O.M. Ramahi, "Flat Far Field lenses and reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, (PIER M), vol.34, pp.163-170, 2014.
- J. Huang and J.A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, IEEE Press, New Jersey, USA, John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
- M. K. Al-Nuaimi and W. Hong, "Discrete Dielectric Reflectarray and Lens for E-Band with Different Feed," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, vol.13, pp.947-950, 2014.
- S.H. Zainud-Deen, N. El-Shalaby, S.M. Gaber, H.A. Malhat, and K.H. Awadalla, "Reflectarrays Mounted on or Embedded in Cylindrical or Spherical surfaces," 2012 Middel East Conference on Antennas and Propagat. (MECAP 2012), Cairo, Egypt, pp.1-6, 2012.
- L. Dussopt, H. Kaouach, J. Lanteri, and R. Sauleau, "Circularly-Polarized Discrete Lens Antennas in 60-GHz Band," Radio engineering, vol.20, no.4, pp.733-738, Dec. 2011.
- S. H. Zainud-Deen, S.M. Gaber, H.A. Malhat, and K.H. Awadalla, " Perforated Transmitaray-Enhanced Circularly Polarized Antenna for High-Gain Multi-Beam Radiation," 2013 International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP 2013), Nanjing, China, Oct.2013.
- J. S. Chieh, C. Meagher, and D. Hooper, "A L-Band Superstrate Lens Enhanced Antenna and Array for Tactical Operations," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Nat. Radio Science Meeting, Orlando, FL, USA, July 2013.
- J. Y. Lau and S. V. Hum, "A Wideband Reconfigurable Transmitarray Element," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1303-1311, March 2012.
- J. Y. Lau and S. V. Hum, "Reconfigurable Transmitarray Design Approaches for Beamforming Applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 5679-5689, Dec. 2012.
- O. C. Zienkiewicz, R.L. Taylor, and J.Z. Zhu, The Finite Element Method: Its Basis and Fundamentals, 6th Ed, Elsevier, Butterworth-Heinemann, UK, 2005.
- R. Marklein, "The Finite Integration Technique As A General Tool to Compute Acoustic, Electromagnetic, Elastodynamic and Coupled Wave Fields," Review of Radio Science, Piscataway, USA, IEEE Press, 2002.
- Hend A. Malhat, S.H. Zainud-Deen, S.M. Gaber, and K. H. Awadalla, " Multilayer dielectric resonator antenna transmitarray for near-field and far-field fixed RFID reader," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, PIER C, Vol. 27, pp. 129-142, 2012.
- A. Petosa and A. Ittipiboon, "Dielectric Resonator Antennas: A Historical Review and the Current State of the Art," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., vol.52, no.5, pp.91-116, Oct. 2010.
- A. A. Kishk, "DRA-Array with 75% Reduction in Elements Number," Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), Austin, TX, USA, pp. 70-72, Jan. 2013.
- S. M. Gaber, Analysis and design of reflectarrays / transmitarrays antennas, Ph.D Thesis, Minoufiya University, 2013.