Main Article Content
Fault Current Limiters are used in a wide array of applications from small circuit protection at low power levels to large scale high power applications which require superconductors and complex control circuitry. One advantage of passive fault current limiters (FCL) is the automatic behavior that is dependent on the intrinsic properties of the circuit elements rather than on a complex feedback control scheme making this approach attractive for low cost applications and also where reliability is critical. This paper describes the behavioral modeling of a passive Magnetic FCL and its potential application in practical circuits.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- "Fault Current Limiting-present situation and future needs", CIGRE 23-79-(WG-04)-06, 1979.
- King E. F., Chikhani A. Y., Hackam R., Salama M. M. A., A Microprocessor-Controlled Variable Impedance Adaptive Fault Current Limiter, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol.5, No.4, pp1830-1838, Oct. 1990.
- Ibrahim E. S., Electromagnetic fault current limiter, Electric Power Systems Research, Vol.42, No.3, pp189-194, Sep. 1997.
- Inaba T., Performance of a Fault-Current Current Limiter With a New Type of Direct Cooled Tubular Element, IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol.103, No.7, pp1888-1894, 1984.
- Karady G. G., Principles of Fault Current Limitation by a resonant LC circuit, IEE Proceedings-C Generation Transmission and Distribution, Vol.139, No.1, pp1-6, Jan. 1992.
- Ishigohka T., Sasaki N., Fundamental Test of New DC Superconducting Fault Current Limiter, IEEE Trans-actions on Magnetics, Vol.27, No.2, pp2341-2344, Mar. 1991.
- Ito D, Yoneda E. S., Tsurunaga K., Tada T., Hara T., Ohkuma T., Yamamoto T., 6.6 KV/1.5 KA-Class Superconducting Fault Current Limiter Development, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.28, No.1, pp438-441, Jan. 1992.
- Ito D., Tsurunaga K., Yoneda E. S., Sugiyama Y., Hara T., Okaniwa K., Hoshino H., Yamamoto T., Superconducting Fault Current Limiter Development, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.27, No.2, pp2345-2348, Mar. 1991.
- Mukhopadhyay, S. C.; Dawson, F. P.; Iwahara, M.; Yamada, S., Analysis, design and experimental results for a passive current limiting device, IEE Proceedings: Electric Power Applications, Vol.146, No.3, (1999), pp309-316.
- Dawson F. P., Yamada S., Iwahara M., Experimental Results for a 2-Material Passive Di/Dt Limiter, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.31, No.6, pp3734-3736, Nov. 1995.
- Iwahara M., Miyazawa E., A Numerical Method for calculation of Electromagnetic Circuits using the tableau approach, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.19, No.6, pp. 2457-2460, 1983.
- D. C. Jiles, D. L. Atherton, Theory of Ferromagnetic Hysteresis (invited), Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.55, No 6, Mar 1984, 2115-2120.
- D. C. Jiles, D. L. Atherton, Theory of Ferromagnetic Hysteresis, Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 61, pp. 48-60,1986.
- D. C. Jiles, D. L. Atherton, "Ferromagnetic Hysteresis", IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol19, No.5, Sep 1983, pp.2183-2185.
- Rozenshtein, V.; Friedman, A.; Wolfus, Y.; Kopansky, F.; Perel, E.; Yeshurun, Y.; Bar Haim, Z.; Ron, Z.; Harel, E.; Pundak, N., "Saturated Cores FCLA New Approach," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol.17, no.2, pp.1756,1759, June 2007.
- Hall, J.; Cheer, A., "Fault current limiter surge protection device for the power grid based upon zero power consumption ceramic ferrite permanent magnets, "22nd International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution (CIRED2013), pp.1,4, 10-13, June 2013.
- P. R. Wilson, J. N Ross, A. D. Brown, Predicting total harmonic distortion in a symmetric digital subscriber line transformers by simulation, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.40, Issue:3, 2004, pp.15421549.
- P. R. Wilson, J. N Ross, A. D. Brown, Modeling frequency-dependent losses in ferrite cores, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.40, No.3, 2004, pp.15371541.
- P. R. Wilson, J. N Ross, A. D. Brown, "Simulation of Magnetic Component Models in Electric Circuits including Dynamic Thermal Effects", IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 17, No.1, 2002, pp.55-65.
- Al-Junaid, H., Kazmierski, T., Wilson, P. and Baranowski, J., Timeless Discretization of the Magnetization Slope in Modeling of Ferromagnetic Hysteresis, IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol.25, No.12, pp2757-2764, 2006.
- P. R. Wilson, J. N Ross, A. D. Brown, Magnetic Material Model Characterization and Optimization Software, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol.38, No.2, Part1, 2002, pp.1049-1052.