Main Article Content
This paper outlines an innovative approach to design a spatial power-combining structure based on waveguide polarizers. It presents the 3D CAD model of the new structure with the transversal probes and considerations in positioning and optimization of them. Exploiting the transformation of the dominant input mode TE10 into an elliptically polarized wave, provided by the polarizer, it has been possible to achieve a division of power by eight, completely carried out in space. With the insertion of the transversal probes made by microstrips, the RF signal can be sent to the MMIC solid state power amplifiers, and then recombined in the output section. Thanks to the large number of power divisions made in the waveguide section, the insertion loss of the power divider/combiner is less than 0.5 dB across the 32-34 GHz band, achieving a great power density as well. At the Author’s best knowledge, this is the first work where a waveguide polarizer is used in Spatial Power Combining technology.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, A. Tafuto, "Spatial Power Combiner Technology", in PIERS Proc., Czech Republic, 2015, pp. 932-938.
- A. Leggieri, D. Passi, F. Di Paolo, G. Orengo, "The Squarax Spatial Power Combiner", Progress In Electromagnetics Research (PIER) C, Vol.45, October 2013, p. 43-55.
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, R. Citroni, F. Di Paolo, "New Six-Way Waveguide to Microstrip Transition applied in X Band Spatial Power Combiner", in Proc. of 4th Advanced Electromagnetics Symposium, Malaga, Spain, 26-28 Jul. 2016, pp. 264-267.
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, A. Tafuto and A. Manna, "High Efficiency Ka-Band Spatial Power Combiner", Advanced Electromagnetics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 10-15, 2014.
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, R. Citroni, F. Di Paolo, "Broadband TE10 to TE20 Mode Transformer for X Band", in Proc. Of 4th Advanced Electromagnetics Symposium, Malaga, Spain, 26-28 Jul. 2016 pp. 261-264.
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, A. Mattioni, F. Di Paolo, M. D'Antoni, M. Bartocci, E. Ciacia, A. Tafuto, "Small Size, High Power Density, Solid State Amplifiers for Space Application", International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Comunications (ISNCC), 2018.
- A. Leggieri, D. Passi, F. Di Paolo, G. Saggio, "Multiphysics Design of a Spatial Power Combiner Predisposed for Thermo-mechanically Affected Operation", Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 28, Issue 17, September 2014.
- L. A. Rud and K. S. Shpachenko, "Polarizers on Section of Square Waveguides with inner corner Ridges", 2011 VIII International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, September 20-23, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Kang Yin, JinPin Xu and ZhengHua Chen, "A Full Ka-band Waveguide-based Spatial Power-combining Amplifier Using E-Plane Anti-Phase Probes", State Key Lab. of Millimeter Waves, Southeast University, Nanjing, JiangSu.
- Yi-Hong Zhou, Jia-Yin Li, Bo Zhao and Hai-Yang Wang, "A Ka-Band Power Amplifier Based on Double-probe Microstrip to Waveguide Transition", Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Procedings, Xi'an, China, March 22-26, 2010.
- Zenon R. Szezepaniak, "Broadband Waveguide Power Splitter for X-band Solid-state Power Amplifiers", Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2007, Telecomunications Research Institute Poligonowa 30, Warsaw, Poland.
- Xing Wang, Xiaodong Huang and Xiuhua Jin, "Novel Square/Rectanngle Waveguide Septum Polarizer", IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous Wireless Broadband (ICUWB), 2016.
- J. Bornermann, V. A. Labay, "Ridge Waveguide Polarizer with Finite and Stepped-Thickness Septum", IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No 8, August 1995.
- Xiaoqiang Xie, Xiang Zhao and Xiao Liu, "A Waveguide-Based Spatial Power Combining Module at Higher Millimeter-Wave Frequency", Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Teraherts Waves, 2013.
- D. Passi, A. Leggieri, F. Di Paolo, M. Bartocci, A. Tafuto, "Design of High Power Density Amplifiers: Application to Ka Band", Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2017.