Main Article Content
We show how reflectarray antenna synthesis can take profit from parallel computing on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs). The presented approach uses an implementation of Particle Swarm Optimization in CUDA language and accelerates the computation of the field radiated by the reflectarray using a GPU- mplemented Non-Uniform FFT routine. Numerical results show how computing time can be kept convenient for the application at hand.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- J. Huang, J.A. Encinar, Reflectarray Antennas, J.Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2008.
- J.A. Encinar, M. Arrebola, and G. Toso, A parabolic reflectarray for a bandwidth improved contoured beam coverages, Proc. of the Europ. Conf. on Antennas Prop., Edinburgh, UK, Nov. 11-16, 2007, pp. 1-5.
- X. You, R.T. Ako, W.S.L. Lee, M.X. Low, M. Bhaskaran, S. Sriram, C. Fumeaux, W. Withayachumnankul, Terahertz reflectarray with enhanced bandwidth, Adv. Opt. Mat., vol. 7, n. 20, pp. 1-8, Oct. 2019.
- M.H. Dahri, M.H. Jamaluddin, M.I. Abbasi, M.R. Kamarudin, A review of wideband reflectarray antennas for 5G communication systems, IEEE Access, vol. 5, pp. 17803-17815, Aug. 2017.
- X. Tan, Z. Sun, J.M. Jornet, D. Pados, Increasing indoor spectrum sharing capacity using smart reflect-array, Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Commun., Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 22-27, 2016, pp. 1-6.
- A. Capozzoli, C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, A. Liseno, P. Vinetti, G. Toso, Aperiodic and non-planar array of electromagnetic scatterers, and reflectarray antenna comprising the same, World Patent Nr. WO/2011/033388.
- A. Capozzoli, C. Curcio, A. Liseno, G. Toso, Fast, Phase-only synthesis of flat aperiodic reflectarrays, Progr. Electromagn. Res. vol. 133, pp. 53-89, 2013.
- A. Capozzoli, C. Curcio, A. Liseno, G. Toso, Fast, Phase-Only synthesis of aperiodic reflectarrays using NUFFTs and CUDA, Progr. Electromagn. Res. vol. 156, pp. 83-103, 2016.
- A. Capozzoli, G. D'Elia, Global optimization and antennas synthesis and diagnosis, part one: concepts, tools, strategies and performances, Progr. Electromagn. Res. vol. 56, pp. 195--232, 2006.
- D.H. Wolpert, W.G. Macready, No free lunch theorems for optimization, IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Comput., vol. 1, n. 1, pp. 67-82, Apr. 1997.
- S.A. Vavasis, Nonlinear Optimization: Complexity Issues, Oxford Science Publication, New York, 1991.
- A. S. Nemirovsky, D.B. Yudin, Problem Convexity and Method Efficiency in Optimization, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1983.
- J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, Perth, WA, Nov. 27-Dec. 01, 1995, pp. 1942-1948.
- A. Capozzoli, C. Curcio, G. D'Elia, A. Liseno, P. Vinetti, Fast CPU/GPU pattern evaluation of irregular arrays, ACES J., vol. 25, n. 4, pp. 355-372, Apr. 2010.
- R.C.M. Pimenta, M.V. Africano, R. Adriano, Ú. C. Resende, 3D CUDA FDTD based method for analysis of microstrip antennas, Proc. of the SBMO/IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Optoelectr. Conf., Aguas de Lindoia, Brazil, Aug. 27-30, 2017, pp. 1-5.
- K. Fourmont, Non-Equispaced Fast Fourier Transforms with applications to tomography, J. Fourier Anal. Appl., vol. 9, n. 5, pp. 431-450, 2003.
- A. Capozzoli, C. Curcio, A. Liseno, Optimized nonuniform FFTs and their application to array factor computation, IEEE Trans. Antennas Prop., vol. 67, n. 6, pp. 3924-3938, Jun. 2019.
- O.M. Bucci, G. D'Elia, G. Mazzarella, G. Panariello, Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach, Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 82, n. 3, 358- 371, Mar. 1994.
- R.M. Tribug, E.S. Belinsky, Fourier Analysis and Approximation of Functions, Springer Science+Business Media, Dordrecht, NL, 2004.
- L. Mussi, F. Daolio, S. Cagnoni, Evaluation of particle swarm optimization algorithms within the CUDA architecture, Information Sciences 181: 4642-4657, 2011.
- Y. Shi, R. Eberhart, A modified particle swarm optimizer, Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Evolutionary Comput., Anchorage, Ak, May 4-9, 1998, pp. 69-73.