Main Article Content
In this work, all-optical plasmonic NOT logic gate was proposed using Insulator-Metal-Insulator (IMI) plasmonic waveguides Technology. The proposed all-optical NOT gate is simulated and realized using COMSOL Multiphysics 5.3a software. Recently, plasmonic technology has attracted high attention due to its wide applications in all-optical signal processing. Due to its highly localization to metallic surfaces, surface plasmon (SP) may have huge applications in sub wavelength to guide the optical signal in the waveguides which results in overcoming the diffraction limit problem in conventional optics. The proposed IMI structure is consist of a dielectric waveguides plus metallic claddings, which guide the incident light strongly in the insulator region. Our design consists of symmetric nano-rings structures with two straight waveguides which based on IMI structure. The operation of all-optical NOT gate is realized by employing the constructive and destructive interface between the straight waveguides and the nano-rings structure waveguides. There are three ports in the proposed design, input, control and output ports. The activation of control port is always ON. By changing the structure dimensions, the materials, the phase of the applied optical signal to the input and control ports, the optical transmission at the output port is changed. In our proposed structure, the insulator dielectric material is glass and the metal material is silver. The calculated contrast ratio between (ON and OFF) output states is 3.16 (dB).
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- Y.-D. Wu, Y.-T. Hsueh, and T.-T. Shih, "Novel All-optical Logic Gates Based on Microring Metal-insulator-metal Plasmonic Waveguides," in PIERS Proceedings, 2013.
- N. Nozhat, H. Alikomak, and M. Khodadadi, "All-optical XOR and NAND logic gates based on plasmonic nanoparticles," Optics Communications, vol. 392, pp. 208-213, 2017.
- M. Ota, A. Sumimura, M. Fukuhara, Y. Ishii, and M. Fukuda, "Plasmonic-multimode-interference-based logic circuit with simple phase adjustment," Scientific reports, vol. 6, p. 24546, 2016.
- Y. I. Hammadi, "All-Optical Logic Gates Based on Graphene Interferometric Waveguide."
- T. S. M. Hassan Falah Fakhruldeen, "All-optical NoT Gate Based on Nanoring Silver-Air Plasmonic Waveguide " International Journal of Engineering & Technology, vol. Vol. 7, pp. pp. 2818-2821, 2018.
- T. Birr, U. Zywietz, P. Chhantyal, B. N. Chichkov, and C. Reinhardt, "Ultrafast surface plasmon-polariton logic gates and half-adder," Optics Express, vol. 23, pp. 31755-31765, 2015.
- H. Raether, "Surface plasmons on smooth surfaces," in Surface plasmons on smooth and rough surfaces and on gratings, ed: Springer, 1988, pp. 4-39.
- H. J. Lezec, A. Degiron, E. Devaux, R. Linke, L. Martin-Moreno, F. Garcia-Vidal, et al., "Beaming light from a subwavelength aperture," Science, vol. 297, pp. 820-822, 2002.
- B. Wang and G. P. Wang, "Surface plasmon polariton propagation in nanoscale metal gap waveguides," Optics Letters, vol. 29, pp. 1992-1994, 2004.
- C. Min, P. Wang, X. Jiao, Y. Deng, and H. Ming, "Beam focusing by a metallic nano-slit array containing nonlinear material," Applied Physics B, vol. 90, pp. 97-99, 2008.
- T. Nikolajsen, K. Leosson, and S. I. Bozhevolnyi, "Surface plasmon polariton based modulators and switches operating at telecom wavelengths," Applied Physics Letters, vol. 85, pp. 5833-5835, 2004.
- A. Dolatabady and N. Granpayeh, "All-optical logic gates in plasmonic metal-insulator-metal nanowaveguide with slot cavity resonator," Journal of Nanophotonics, vol. 11, p. 026001, 2017.
- X.-S. Lin and X.-G. Huang, "Tooth-shaped plasmonic waveguide filters with nanometric sizes," Optics Letters, vol. 33, pp. 2874-2876, 2008.