Main Article Content
In this paper a simple analysis and measurement in eddy current NDE are presented. A Hall probe is associated to a double Printed Circuit Board PCB. The configurations examined involve the coil in air and the coil above aluminum plates, either with or without cracks of various depths. The agreement between experimental and theoretical results is very good, showing that a very simple model accurately describes the electromagnetic fields.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- C. V. Dodd, W. E. Deeds, Analytical solutions to eddy-current probe-coil problems, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 39, n° 6, pp. 2829-2838, 1968.
- C. V. Dodd, W. E. Deeds, Integral solutions to some eddy current problems, International Journal of Nondestructive Testing, vol. 1, pp. 29-90, 1969.
- S. M. Nair, J. H. Rose, Electromagnetic induction (eddy currents) in a conducting half-space in the absence of in homogeneities: a new formalism, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 68, n° 12, pp. 5995-6009, 1990.
- J. O. Fava, and M. C. Ruch, Calculation and simulation of impedance diagrams of planar rectangular spiral coils for eddy current testing, NDT&E International, vol. 39, pp. 414-424, 2006.
- T. P. Theodoulidis, and E. E. Kriezis, Impedance evaluation of rectangular coils for eddy current testing of planar media, NDT&E International, vol. 35, pp. 407-414, 2002.
- J. R. Bowler, and T. P. Theodoulidis, Coil impedance variation due to induced current at the edge of a conductive plate, Journal of physics D: Applied Physics, vol. 39, pp. 2862-2868, 2006.
- H. Weinstock and M. Nisenoff, Non-destructive evaluation of metallic structures using a SQUID gradiometer, SQUID '85, Proc. 3rd International Conference on Superconducting Quantum Devices, Hahlbohm H.D. and Lubbig H., Eds., 843--847, de Gruyter, Berlin, 1985.
- H. Weinstock, SQUID Sensors: fundamentals, fabrications and applications, NATO ASI series E: Applied Science, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- J. Clarke, SQUIDS, Scientific American, pp. 46-53, 1994.
- G. B. Donaldson, SQUID sensors, Kluwer, Dordrecht, NL, pp. 599-628, 1996.
- J. P. Wikswo, SQUID magnetometers for biomagnetism and nondestructive testing: important questions and initial answers, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond, vol. 5, n° 2, pp. 74-120, 1995.
- J. Clarke, A. I. Braginski, The SQUID Handbook: Fundamentals and Technology of SQUIDs and SQUID Systems, Volume I, Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH&Co, KGaA, Weinheim, 2004 et 2006.
- W. G. Jenks, S. S. H. Sadeghi and J. P. Wiskswo, SQUIDS for NDE, J. Phys. D 30, pp. 293-323, 1997.
- J. A. Lobera-Serrano, J. R. Claycomb, J. H. Miller, K. Salama, Hybrid double D sheet-inducer for SQUID based NDT, IEEE Trans. On Mag., vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1283-1286, 2001.
- D. Hong-Sheng, J. Zhong-Sheng, L. Li-Jun, Development of high Tc SQUID system for nondestructive evaluation, Journal of superconductivity and novel magnetism, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 253-257, 2008.
- Poulakis,Theodoulidis, http://ww.ndt.net/article/hsndt2007/files/Poulakis_Theodoulidis.pdf
- J. R. Bowler and T. Theodoulidis, Coil impedance variation due to induced current at the edge of a conductive plate, Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 39:2862--2868, 2006.
- M. Ya. Antimirov, A. A. Kolyshkin, and R. Vaillancourt, Application of a perturbation to the solution of eddy current testing problems, IEEE Trans. on Mag., vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 1247-1252, 1994.
- N. Tsopelas, N. J. Siakavellas, Performance of circular and square coils in electromagnetic-thermal non-destructive inspection, NDT&E International vol. 40, pp. 12-28, 2007.
- A. I. Rusinov, High precision computation of solenoid magnetic fields by Garrett's methods, IEEE, Trans. on Mag., vol.30, n° 4, 2004.
- J. T. Conway, Exact solutions for the magnetic fields of axisymmetric solenoids and current distributions, IEEE Trans. on Mag., vol. 37, n° 4, 2001, Research in nondestructive evaluation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 159-177, 2009.
- L. Bettaieb, H. Kokabi, M. Poloujadoff, A. Sentz, H. J. Krause, and C. Coillot, Comparison of the use of SQUID an Hall effect sensors in NDE, Materials Evaluation, vol. 68, n°5, pp. 535-541, 2010.
- L. Bettaieb, H. Kokabi, M. Poloujadoff, A. Sentz, and H. J. Krause, Analysis of some non destructive evaluation experiments using eddy current, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 159-177, 2009.
- P. Leroy, C. Coillot, V. Mosser, A. Roux and G. Chanteur, Use of magnetic concentrator to highly improve the sensitivity of Hall effect sensors, Sensor Letters, vol. 5, n° 1, pp. 162-166, 2007.
- F. Sarreshtedari, S. Razmkhah, N. Hosseini, K. Mehrany, H. Kokabi, H. J. Krause, J. Schubert, M. Banzet, and M. Fardmanesh, Analytical model for the extraction of flaw-induced current interactions for SQUID NDE, IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 3442-3446, 2011.
- Mehdi Fardmanesh, Farrokh Sarreshtedari, Arash Pourhashemi, Elnaz Ansari, Mohammad A. Vesaghi, Juergen Schubert, Marko Banzet, and H. J. Krause, Optimization of NDE Characterization Parameters for a RF-SQUID Based System Using FEM Analysis, IEEE Transactions on applied Superconductivity, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 791-795, 2009.